Plea for item donations as ‘Library of Things’ project progresses
- Credit: Transition Exmouth
A plea has been issued for household items to fill an ‘library of things’ in Exmouth and create a ‘sharing economy’ in the town.
In January, Transition Exmouth announced that it was awarded National Lottery Funding to set up a ‘Library of Things’ and since then have been working in the background to set it up.
A space has been found and is in the process of being renovated, and the team from the community group is looking for donated items that can be hired from the facility.
A spokesman for Transition Exmouth said: “The idea of the Library of Things is to promote a ‘sharing economy’ in the town and provide a facility where people can reserve and borrow a range of household items for DIY or leisure activities for short term use.
“This could include items that they may only want to use for a one-off job such as long ladders or power tools for DIY, or things for a particular occasion, such as a gazebo, a catering table and some extra garden chairs for a family gathering.
“It could also include things that they may want to try out before deciding whether to purchase for themselves, such as tents and other items of camping equipment.”
Transition Exmouth was awarded a grant of £3,440 as part of the National Lottery’s support of Transition Town projects.
Catherine Causley, of Transition Exmouth said in January: “We all have items taking up storage space that we use infrequently, so by setting up a library of things we can share these items.”
- 1 Lower Otter Restoration Project delayed after concerns raised over nesting birds
- 2 Budleigh couple’s book detailing their South American adventures
- 3 Exmouth Town mourn former manager
- 4 Jurassic Fibre helps local businesses get better connected
- 5 East Devon AONB ‘violet hunt’ launched
- 6 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 7 Female football opportunities at Budleigh
- 8 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 9 Thousands of trees are being planted, but what can we do to help environment?
- 10 Property of the Week: Glebelands
The Library of things is a community-run project and Transition Exmouth hopes to open towards the end of May and looks forward to supporting the town.
Transition Exmouth say the items should be serviceable and in good condition and collection can be arranged. Electrical items will be PAT tested.
Anyone with items they would like to donate, should email firstname.lastname@example.org giving their contact details and a brief description of the items they wish to donate. Anyone who wants to volunteer on the project should also get in touch.