Wright week ends with golden glory
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth Visions Academy player Jonty Wright was in action on both days at the weekend, playing in Devon Badminton’s Under 16s and Under 18s tournaments in Torbay.
Across both days of action coaches were present to run the rule over the players with regards to county squad selection for next season.
First up was the Under-16s event and the Exmouth 13-year-old won his singles pool with three straight victories.
In the semi-finals, a slow start cost him and, despite a valiant fightback, he lost and was forced to settle for the bronze medal.
In the doubles, partnering Zac Linley-Moss, the pair cruised through the early stages setting up a final showdown with a pairing that included fellow Visions player Josh Findel Hawkins.
You may also want to watch:
However, Wright and his partner prevailed in a good contest to take the gold medal.
On Sunday it was Under-18s action and Wright stepped up to the mark again winning his pool against strong competition including last season’s under-18 squad members, setting up a semi-final against highly rated Will Freer. Once again young Wright was edged out and so bagged himself another bronze with Freer going on to take gold in the final.
- 1 Glowing tributes paid to Exmouth RNLI ‘legend’ Tim Mock
- 2 Exmouth residents urged to have their say on WPD’s five-year plan
- 3 Builders merchant encouraging businesses to support Exmouth mental health organisation
- 4 Jurassic Fibre installs 10Gbps connection to Winslade Park
- 5 Work begins on former temporary car park on Exmouth seafront
- 6 ‘Light at the end of the tunnel’ for East Devon’s top attractions
- 7 Proper Fish and Chips expanding into Cranbrook
- 8 LED Leisure Centres ready to reopen
- 9 Fears over ‘seafront nightclub’ alleyed following licensing application concerns
- 10 Exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Mikeys Beach Bar
Wright them paired up once more with Zac Linley-Moss to contest the pairs and the duo won their pool and then a semi-final before eventually taking a successive gold with a 21-9 win in the final.
The weekend’s glory capped a great week for Jonty after he was named Exmouth Community College badminton Player of the Year, and he wants to thank his coach Sue Williams and brother Morgan for their superb support and assistance over the past year.