Withycombe RFC launch a ladies team
- Credit: Archant
The season might be over but the rugby doesn’t stop at Withycombe RFC
Indeed, for a brand new section at the club the action has only just begun!
Withycombe have launched a ladies side and, with the focus firmly placed on fun, fitness and team spirit, the early sessions have been a huge hit with everyone taking part.
What started off as a group of partners or mothers of players with either the Withy seniors or juniors has now developed into a group that now looks a budding set of lady rugby players!
Founding member, Lisa Long, says: “We’ve had girls come down who’ve never touched a rugby ball before, but they’ve loved every minute of it.
You may also want to watch:
“A big factor is that it’s great for fitness! The sessions are about an hour long and during that time you don’t stop moving, but you’re so distracted by the fun and games that you don’t notice!”
Andrea Parkin, like many of the ladies, originally began her involvement for the fitness element. She says: “I cannot believe how much I am enjoying being a Withycombe lady. To be honest, at first I said I would get involved for the fitness, but now I am getting fully involved and loving every minute of it. I am biting at the bit to go further!”
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 3 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 6 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 7 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 8 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
The coaching is being done by a selection of the men’s first team players, who were reluctant at first, but have been won over by the girls’ enthusiasm, good humour and appreciation.
One of the coaches, Joe Parkin, says: “The ladies have made great progress over a short period of time, and it’s great to see more new faces joining all the time.”
Another of the coaching team, Mike Richards, said: “They are clearly an ambitious set of ladies. They’ve set themselves a target of playing a full friendly sometime in September or October, which is a big ask, but at the rate they’re learning and bonding together I can definitely see it happening.”
Training sessions take place at the rugby club each Thursday night from 6.30pm and the session are targeted at 16 years and above for ladies of all shapes, fitness and experience!
To join in all you need to do is turn up! For more information ring Lisa Long on 07876 553350.