Withycombe ladies shine in six-try stunner
- Credit: Lois Harrison
Withycombe Ladies scored 34 unanswered points to start the new year with an excellent victory over Exeter Saracens Women.
With two early penalties and plenty of play in the Sarries’ half, the ladies showed some promising intent.
The opening score came on 13 minutes when a Withy scrum was cleared out to KC Williams, who ran down the left wing to score. Captain Georgia Skelly’s kick bisected the posts to put the ladies 7-0 ahead.
Withy topped up the points a little later in the half when, after a period of pressure on Exeter’s 5m line, Katie Down spotted a tiny gap and made a lunge to reach over and score to make it 12-0.
On the stroke of half-time, Withy got their third try; A quick tap penalty from Paula Jackson saw her link to form a maul and carry the ball across the line. Skelly’s successful conversion brought the half to an end with the score 19-0.
The second half began with both sides enjoying some time with the ball, providing plenty of good rugby. Momentum shifted back towards green and black with a break by KC, who got her second try of the game in Clubhouse Corner.
With Raleigh Park being treated to more entertaining phases of rugby, a Withies scrum on halfway was cleared out through the hands, finding Captain Georgia, who sprinted back in the direction of Clubhouse Corner for the ladies’ fifth try of the afternoon.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 9 Drama club stage sci-fi spoof comedy play
- 10 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
Despite the growing score line, the visitors refused to give up and kept up the fight in the game, forcing the ladies to show their defensive side. Managing to keep the play in the Withy half, defence turned to attack once again with play deep in the Sarries’ 22’.
Withy earned themselves a penalty just outside the 5m line, this was taken quickly by Molly Tregedeon, who powered towards the line to score in the corner for the sixth and final try of the game.
The ladies return to action on the 30th January, when they welcome Sidmouth Ladies to Raleigh Park for a friendly. Kick off will be 2:30pm.