Taunton Races staging Christmas meeting
- Credit: Archant
Taunton host their Christmas Meeting on Tuesday December 20, when the six race card gets going at 12.45pm, writes Richard Walsh.
Once again Taunton are offering an impressive total of £53,000 in prize money with the feature race, a Class 3 event boasting a whopping £16k.
Before the racing gets underway, Father Christmas will be dropping in to meet the children while there will be a free goodie bag and face painting available to everyone under 16 and mulled wine and festive food on offer.
First to post is the Gareth Cope’s Own Spring Racing Carnival ‘Hands and Heels’ Handicap Hurdle Race over two miles and three furlongs, which is followed at 1.15pm by the Andrea Harrisson Celebration Maiden Hurdle Race over two miles and half a furlong.
The Event Care Ltd Novices’ Handicap Steeple Chase is next up at 1.50 and run over three miles and two and a half furlongs is the longest of the day offering a total prize fund of £10k.
You may also want to watch:
The big race on the card is the Weatherbys Racing Diaries ‘Confined’ Handicap Hurdle half an hour later, which is a Class 3 event over two miles and half a furlong with a prize fund of £16k.
The penultimate race of the day is the Central Motors Subaru Handicap Steeple Chase at 2.50pm over two miles and seven furlongs.
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 3 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 4 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college
The final action 30 minutes later is the New Year Racemeeting Friday December 30, Handicap Hurdle Race over a distance of three miles.
Taunton Racecourse offer substantial discounts of up to 20 per cent which are available to those purchasing tickets on-line before 10am on the day prior to meeting at www.tauntonracecourse.co.uk
Car parking is free and all accompanied children under 16 are admitted free at Taunton Racecourse.
Racegoers are reminded that a courtesy coach service departs from Taunton Railway Station two hours before the start time and returns from the course 30 minutes after the last race begins.