Slade shines on debut for Budleigh Under-12s
Budleigh Salterton Under-12s were mighty close to an opening victory when they were edged out by a margin of just seven runs by Whimple.
The youngsters had not been able to have any practise sessions with the Ottermouth flooding woes and so taking on the previous year’s champions in the opening game was a daunting task.
Whimple won the toss, opted to bat first and Budleigh made an instant break-through with Sid Fereday knocking over a Whimple opener on his way to a fine spell of four overs that yielded figures of 1-11.
Ed Slade made an impressive debut for the side with three very tight overs and Will Oxland returned the tidy figures of 1-5 from two overs whilst brother Tom also turned his arm over and he too kept the runs conceded at a minimum as Whimple’s innings closed on 101-4 from their 20 overs.
Max Mejzner started the run chased off with a neat early clip off his toes to square leg before he departed, but fellow opener James Doble settled in very well and crafted out a most competent 27. Other contributions came from Tom Oxland (12) and Sam Fearnley (12), but the required run rate began to rise with the eventual target one of 22 from the final three overs. There was spirited effort to get the runs but the bid fell seven short
You may also want to watch:
Coach Karl Short said: “It was a very pleasing way to start the season and certainly gives us something to build on.”
- 1 Double celebration as iconic pub reopens with new look
- 2 Steve hopes community will help lifesaving research at awareness event
- 3 Inquest into death of Exmouth teenager found at Orcombe Point
- 4 Exmouth woman denies murdering her partner Nigel Johnston
- 5 Waverley Road residents stage community gardening competition
- 6 Cycle rider remembers father and son who were both lost to cancer
- 7 Rainbow flags fly high in Exmouth for Pride month
- 8 Volunteers produce a colour supplement for town centre
- 9 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 10 Major improvement works ongoing at Exmouth Cricket Club