Skipper Wensley scores unbeaten ton as Exmouth IIIs win at Woodbury
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth III were emphatic nine wicket winners when they made the short trip to Town Lane, Woodbury to take on Woodbury and Newton St Cyres in an H Division East game.
Exmouth skipper Roger Wensley won the toss and invited the home side to bat first. Home openers Ian Hughes (77) and Simon Vicary (27) put on 75 for the opening wicket which arrived when Matthew Edworthy held a catch off the bowling of Joe Graham. Number four bat Dave Church hit 26 and the home innings, which was, at one stage 162-4, closed on 203-7 after 40 overs.
Joe Graham (3-38), Jack Ottaway (1-29), Josh Austin (1-18) and Sam Austin (1-046) were the Exmouth wicket-takers.
The Exmouth run chase was led from start to finish by skipper Roger Wensley who faced the first delivery post tea and was still there at the end when a nine wicket win was sealed having scored an unbeaten 101 with 13 fours and one six.
Fellow opener Jack Ottaway helped his skipper put on 111 for the first wicket, which was that of Ottaway, caught by Simon Vicary off the bowling of Tom Dowl for the home side’s lone success in the field.
You may also want to watch:
The other not out Exmouth batsman at the end was Matthew Edworthy who scored 25.
Tom Dowle, the only successful home bowler, finished with figures of 1-37 from eight overs.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 10 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake