Seconds triumph with first class victories of their own
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Top class victories at first-team level were mirrored by the 2nd XI outfits for Exmouth and Budleigh both recording impressive wins.
Exmouth 2nds produced arguably their best performance of the season to earn a crucial 50-run victory at Exeter 2nds in C Division East of the Tolchards Devon Cricket League.
Most importantly for Exmouth, the maximum points lifted them out of the bottom two and the batting display was largely bolstered by a strong showing from the middle order, with Codie Strydom (30), Ed Maynard (20) and Josh Austin (41) all making decent contributions.
Exmouth then wobbled badly and were in serious trouble on 135/8. Step forward Jon Martin, who belied his number nine position in the order with a terrific unbeaten 52, which combined with a handy 15 from Greg Marks to set a target of 205 for the home side.
Jon Martin swapped bat for ball and removed Exeter opener Navid Kaleem for six. Exeter fought back and were doing ok in the chase on 87/2 but wickets then began to fall in regular intervals.
Elijah Pyne was the lead bowler for Exmouth and finished with figures of 4 for 25. Greg Marks grabbed a double, as the hosts were dismissed for 155.
In D Division East, Budleigh Salterton 2nds retained a four-point lead at the top over Shobrooke Park after a powerful nine-wicket victory at home to Chardstock on a day when the opening pair delivered a faultless chase.
- 1 'Step aside, Salcombe' - travel article names Exmouth as Devon's up-and-coming destination
- 2 Exmouth toilets could become an 'eco hub'
- 3 Council on the lookout for site of new East Devon town
- 4 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
- 5 Green flag award for four East Devon parks
- 6 County council locality budgets to be suspended as authority battles financial pressures
- 7 Grieving mother went off rails after her son's beach death
- 8 Celebrate last night of the proms in Exmouth
- 9 Devon County Council launch consultation for residents parking in Exmouth
- 10 Lets take advantage of bumper Folk Festival to support our businesses
Sean Butler grabbed an early wicket for Budleigh but they were then frustrated by Alex Watson (49) and Gary Larcombe (56) helping Chardstock to a solid position on 142/2. Budleigh then began chipping away and were able to limit their visitors to 212/6 at the close, with Kamalakar Posapalli taking 3 for 53.
Donovan Robinson and Marc Troman stepped out to start the chase, and 40.5 overs later, the same pair finished the job. Robinson finished unscathed with a tremendous 103 and Troman was also not out on 80.
Budleigh 2nds travel to Feniton this weekend, while Exmouth 2nds host Uplyme & Lyme Regis.