Season up and running at Budleigh Salterton CC
- Credit: BSCC
The season-opening matches at Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club have been played in the East Devon Youth League and some friendlies for the senior sides, as the 2022 cricket season got underway.
A new look 1st XI took on local rivals Exmouth at Ottermouth in a pre-season friendly with the new Sri Lankan signing Chathura Peiris winning his debut. A solid performance saw Exmouth post 329-6 off 50 overs, with Adam Jones and Jack England the pick of the bowlers.
With a very competitive total, Exmouth CC pegged back the run rate - even the strong batting performances of Tom Oxland (50) and Samuel Whitehead (103) couldn’t deliver the required runs and Budleigh fell 81 runs short - posting 248-8 off 50 overs.
It was, however, a terrific warm-up for both clubs, who are now getting stuck into the new season in the Tolchards Devon Cricket League. Everything crossed for a fantastic season for all the players, coaches and volunteers at Budleigh and Exmouth.
The juniors also kicked off their seasons with the U11s home to Ottery St Mary, U13s taking on Sidmouth, and the U14s taking on Woodbury in the East Devon Youth League.
All three teams came away winners, with the U11s winning by six runs in a tight encounter with Ottery. Katie Gracie and Maisie Eade took the lion’s share of the wickets, and Charlie Eade, Theo James, Isla Dixon and Bobby Ralph all scored impressive runs.
The U13s, taking on Sidmouth, posted a solid 124 off their 20 overs, and Sidmouth scored 66-7 off their overs. Notable performances included a solid 39 from Tom O’Connor, amongst others.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 9 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 10 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
The U14s, having lost to Kenn the previous week, bounced back strongly with a resounding seven-wicket victory after chasing down Woodbury’s 71-6 in just 11 overs for the loss of three wickets. Rory Macdonald, Max Jasper, and Jack Larmour did the damage following a tight bowling display from George Dale and Mawgan Sharp.
BSCC youth training is Friday nights at 6pm at Ottermouth, Budleigh Salterton, and this week’s roundup is brought to you by Aspect Windows.