Season coming to a close at Madeira Bowls
- Credit: Archant
This week saw the last of the friendly fixtures and also the end of Captain Brian Poulter’s season – a season which has been much enjoyed with excellent bowling and greens.
It has also been a season that has also had many difficulties, through starting late due to pandemic restrictions and with many cancellations, often due to the weather.
North Tawton was the destination for Madeira’s last friendly away trip. The Exmouth club returned with a 62-56 win, despite going down heavily on one triples match. Top scorers for Madeira on the day were Heather Salter, Jude Latta and Charles Darke with a resounding 20-8 win. Many members enjoyed meeting up with Tim Bevan, a past Madeira member now living in North Tawton.
This was followed by two of the largest fixtures of the season. Madeira welcomed Devon Patrons, with the opposition bringing eight rinks. The match fluctuated with the Patrons eventually prevailing after tea with a score of 139-120. Doing Madeira proud was the rink of Margaret Mahon, Myra Furminger, Vic Doidge and Gordon Medlock, who achieved an emphatic 25-9 victory.
The last friendly fixture of the summer season was Denmead – a touring team staying in Torquay. The Hampshire club arrived with nine rinks on the final day of their tour and were greeted by fast running greens, bright sunshine and a Madeira team determined to sign off on a high.
You may also want to watch:
Denmead returned home on the end of a 151-119 defeat but with many friendships firmly strengthened. Top rink for Madeira was skipped by Jenny Smith playing with Gloria Taylor, Keith Weeks and Steve Stott with their impressive 28 shots to 9 win.
As it was the last game of Brian’s captaincy, after the match Club President Keith Weeks warmly thanked him on behalf of the members for all he had done throughout the 2021 outdoor season.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 John and Grace run for the heart
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 8 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
The Club finals were finally completed over the weekend and more will be reported on that next week.