Sean Day ‘fivefer’ plus fine knocks by French and Greenway see Exmouth 2nds to victory
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth 2nds thrashed hosts Sandford 2nds, beating the Mid Devon men by 200 runs.
There were two key innings for the Maer men and both came from players that had appeared in the 1st XI seven days before.
After James Horler (39) and Harrison Folland (8) had been returned to the Creedy Park pavilion, Callum French struck 73 and Lawrence Greenway hit 88, with the Exmouth score 162-3 when French was third man out.
Luke Davies joined Greenway and the pair added 120 for the fourth wicket before Greenway fell just a dozen runs shy of a century.
Davies saw Sean Day (8). Sam Goodier (10) and Ryan Schaufler (0), all come and go before he ended the innings unbeaten on 34 with Greg Mark, not out one, at the other end and Exmouth closed on 306-7 after their 45 overs.
You may also want to watch:
The new ball for the Maer men went to Sean Day and claimed two early wickets, hitting the stumps and then landing a leg before decision to send back both openers.
Alex Craib then claimed a quick-fire double and suddenly, Sandford were four wickets down with just 48 runs on the board. That was soon 73-5 as Callum French got a leg before decision in his favour. From thereon there was precious little resistance as the home team lost wickets at regular intervals, finishing on 106 all out.
- 1 Gala Week cancelled but summer events planned
- 2 Freemasons step up to help with vaccination roll out
- 3 Third time unlucky as Exmouth man caught with abuse images jailed
- 4 Environmental issues a hot topic in Local Plan consultation
- 5 Exmouth pharmacy offering Covid-19 vaccine appointments to those in priority groups
- 6 Shoppers to boost life-changing charities impacted by Covid-19
- 7 Redwood trees are 'fantastic news for Torbay's Naturally Inspiring environment'
- 8 Banned customer jailed for 'sucker punch' attack on innocent pub diner
- 9 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
- 10 Business employment charity needs helping boost to continue
Lawrence Greenway and Callum French, with his second wicket, had success before Sean Day returned to wipe out the tail. James Horler secured a couple of stumpings and took a catch to complete a fine shift behind the stumps, but, post tea, it was Day who took the plaudits with his ‘fivefer’ return seeing him with figures of 5-17 from 8.4 overs. Callum French (2-25) and Alex Craib (2-27) both bagged a couple of wickets and the Lawrence Greenway wicket came at a cost of one run in a two over spell.
The win, a sixth in seven D Division East games for Exmouth 2nds, leaves the Maer men in second place, just a point behind leaders Heathcoat. On Saturday (June 26), Exmouth 2nds travel to fifth placed Upottery 1st XI.
? The Exmouth third XI were in H Division East action at Acland Park against Feniton 2nds.
Feniton batted first and powered their way to an imposing 260-6 with the Exmouth wicket taking bowlers being Sam Austin (1-43), Rory Craib (1-42), Jack Ottaway (1-42) and Jon Austin (1-17).
In the reply, Roger Wensley top scored with 67 and there was an unbeaten 34 from Julian Page, batting at number eight, as Exmouth were bowled out for 244 and so lost the match by a margin of 24 runs.