Withycombe Under-16s move closer to Fisherman’s Cup final berth

PUBLISHED: 15:43 11 April 2018 | UPDATED: 15:43 11 April 2018

Withycombe Under-15s versus Kingsbridge action.

Withycombe Under-15s versus Kingsbridge action.


Withycombe Under-16s moved closer to a place in the final of the Fisherman’s Cup after a 31-24 win over hosts Brixham.

The home side fielded a formidable looking side and had a big set of forwards, but Withy rose to the challenge and what ensued was a bruising encounter between the opposing forwards, producing some great rugby.

Farrant led the first Withy surge with a kick deep in to the Brixham 22 where the home side struggled to deal with the attacking Withy line, who quickly closed Brixham down, pinning them within 10 metres of their try line. The next raid saw a Withycombe lineout that got the ball moving wide to the left and some excellent runs straightened the attack. A ruck formed on the left side and a huge drive took the ball over the line for Josh Farr to touch down and get Withy onto the scoreboard.

The following 15 minutes saw Brixham respond with determination. A turnover at a lineout gave Brixham an attacking platform on the Withycombe 22, and a chip over the defensive line gave a Brixham winger a chance to break through to score the equaliser. The home team scored again soon after as pressure drove Withycombe back to defend their try line until an infringement rewarded Brixham with a penalty try. The next score came after the ball was worked down the Brixham line; an interception reversed the attack with the ball being taken on by the Withy forwards. A tackle inches from the Brixham try line saw the ball passed to Farrant, who had run in close support and touched down for a great try equalling the score. Then the dependable boot of Oscar Moyles converted the try and Withy were back in front, albeit, against the run of play.

The Withy forwards next gained territory and released Farr to cross the line for his well-deserved second try. This was again converted by Moyles and that left the half-time score 19-10 in favour of Withycombe.

Brixham started the second half strongly, but Withy showed their resolve and absorbed the attacks.

It wasn’t long before Withycombe were able to push forward and again press toward the try line. Some strong rucking drove the Withy team forward and for the third time, Farr touched down securing the bonus point and extending the lead to 24-10.

Shortly after the restart, a huge run down the right wing by Withycombe gained ground and the ball was released for Farrant to power over the line and score his second. The try scorer also tucked away the conversion to extend the lead to 31-10.

With the game out of the home side’s reach they did score a brilliant try as their number two received a ball on the run. As he broke free from the halfway line, he continued to cross the line to score a well-deserved try. However, there was still time for Withy’s big number five, Harry Neath Rogers, to take the ball off the scrum and cross the whitewash to make it 36-19. Brixham had the final say in the contest with another try, but Withy were not to be denied a terrific, and deserved, victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal