Withy Under-16s edged out by Teigns in close encounter of the cup kind

PUBLISHED: 13:23 01 March 2018 | UPDATED: 13:23 01 March 2018

Action from the Sidmouth Under-15s meeting with Withycombe at Bicton College

Action from the Sidmouth Under-15s meeting with Withycombe at Bicton College


Withycombe Under-16s suffered a narrow 31-27 defeat when they hosted Teignmouth in a Fishermen's Cup encounter.

The meeting was between the top two sides in the section with Teignmouth keeping Withy off top spot and, to add extra to the closeness of the encounter, in the two earlier meetings this season each team had won one!

Withy captain Luke Davis kicked-off, but for the first 10 minutes the ball belonged to the Teigns. The defence from Withy was good, but eventually the pressure told and a converted try was on the board for the visitors.

Withy hit back and there were some outstanding tackles with brothers Vinnie and Harry Neath Rogers at the forefront of the action, both putting in a number of ‘crunching’ tackles and, when the ball was worked wide, Jason Farrant crossed the whitewash to make it 7-5.

Withy maintained control from the restart and were dominating the scrum, turning them over and great pressure by scrum half Joe Blyth prevented the Teigns scrum half from distributing the ball. Further Withy pressure saw forwards Harry Cartwright and Dylan Canning secure the ball and launch a move that ended with Ben Dawson scoring in the corner to put Withy 10-7 ahead. Soon after, Archie Symons collected the ball and off-loaded to Blyth, who in turn released Josh Arbury and he made a 20-yard burst before finding Dawson to cross for his second try and extend the Withy lead.

In an end-to-end contest, the Teigns hit back with a brace of converted tries to lead 21-15 at the interval.

An early second half try saw the Teigns move further ahead at 26-15, but back came Withy with a third try from Dawson, converted by Josh Saunders to take Withy to within four points of the visitors. Withy stayed on the front foot, and, with Ollie Cowley, Arbury and Patrick Forest Robinson repeatedly breaking the Teigns line, they made good ground before a turnover by the Teigns saw them score again, despite a brave tackle from Kyle Parry. As the clock ticked down, a high ball was brilliantly plucked out of the air by Luke Davis, who then attacked the defensive line, but the ball was judged not to have been grounded properly and the ‘try’ was disallowed.

However, Withy did get on the score sheet once more with Dawson dotting down for his fourth, but the match honours went to the Teigns by the narrowest of margins.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists