Van Coller scores first in Quins win

PUBLISHED: 17:05 23 December 2008 | UPDATED: 10:13 10 June 2010

EXMOUTH Quins made the short trip to Sidmouth to complete the first half of this seasons league fixtures, writes Chris Witkiss.

EXMOUTH Quins made the short trip to Sidmouth to complete the first half of this seasons league fixtures, writes Chris Witkiss.

The game kicked off with Quins playing down the slope and with the advantage of a brisk wind.

The opening exchanges were played at a frantic pace, with the visitors dominant in attack and the hosts resolute in defence.

The scoreboard was not called into action until the 20th minute when Quins' Jack Van-Collier, managed to go over the Sidmouth try line.

The fly-half gathered a high ball from a Sidmouth kick, saw space to his left and sprinted for the line, eventually going over in the corner. The remainder of the first half saw Quins working hard to use the slope and wind to gain any advantage but, with some poor ball retention and decision making, they were unable to cross the home line again and so Quins went in at the break 5-0 ahead.

The home side made a fierce start to the second half and, for the first ten minutes, controlled the proceedings.

However, during this passage of play, the Quins defenders stood up manfully and denied any home try.

The opening score of the second period came when Quins centre Barry Walton managed to break the Sidmouth lines and go over to score but, with the kick going wide, it left the visitors 10-0 to the good.

The home side then served up a powerful response but once again were thwarted by some superb defending.

With ten minutes remaining, Quins crossed for their third try when Barry Walton went over the line to score under the posts and, with Van-Collier adding the two extra points, it gave Quins a 17-0 advantage.

Five minutes from time the home side finally broke through the Quins ranks and they repeated the process with a conversion to close the deficit to 12-17.

The home side now made a huge push to score a match-saving third try but, whilst under pressure, Quins managed to clear their line with a kick for touch.

The home side won the lineout but Quins flanker Donny Lynaghan charged down the clearance kick, gathered the ball, and ran through to score a fine try.

Van-Collier converted the try and this proved to be the final act of the game leaving Quins 24-12 winners.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal