Tidball makes his mark against the Chiefs

PUBLISHED: 13:20 20 January 2011

Cockles under9s versus Chiefs two

Cockles under9s versus Chiefs two


The Exmouth under-9s bounced back from a defeat to Exeter Chiefs to dominate the second game of the morning with Owen Tidball in fine scoring form.

EXMOUTH Under-9s entertained Exeter Chiefs for what is always an eagerly anticipate derby meeting.

With both clubs having very good numbers of players two matches were contested.

In the opener the Chiefs were quicker to start and struck a brace of early tries. In those Chiefs dominated early exchanges the Cockles Harry Sprague was the home stand-out player.

Following some great play in the ruck and maul, Owen Tidball drove through the Chief’s defence to put the Cockles on the score sheet before half time.

After the break the Chiefs came on strong again and quickly notched up a further brace of tries.

The Cockles battled hard to get back into the contest with Luke Davis, in particular, impressing.

Indeed he started the move that saw him charge through the Chiefs defence before off-loading Owen Tidball who showed the Chiefs a clean pair of heels to pick up his second try for the Cockles.

Eddie Ford tried hard to break through the Chefs line charging like a steamroller, but each time the Exmouth attack was prevented from scoring further.

Both Archie Symons and Ollie Jones made try saving tackles but the final whistle blew with the Chiefs 11-2 winners.

The second match saw young Tidball again in the thick of the action. It was he who struck early to put the Cockles ahead.

Callum Wilmott then produced some superb try-saving tackles but the Chiefs continued to press and were eventually back on level terms.

The Cockles then turned up the tempo and some great down-the-line passing resulted in Max Handford scoring.

Archie Symons was next to get his name on the score sheet before Aaron Lee then picked up the ball and set off, running half the length of the pitch to score.

Young Tidball then notched his fourth of the morning and, from the re-start, the Cockles won back the ball. It was passed to Luke Davis who charged clear to score another fine individual try.

In the second half the Chiefs battled back and scored a try of their own but some exceptional defending then kept them at bay and, at the final whistle, the Cockles were 6-2 winners.

Every one of the Cockles players deserves much credit for their contribution in a fine performance and deserved victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal