Rugby round up

PUBLISHED: 18:09 02 October 2008 | UPDATED: 09:44 10 June 2010

P0461-40-08SH Action from the Exmouth Colts clash against Kingsbridge at the Imperial Ground on Saturday.
Picture : Simon Horn

P0461-40-08SH Action from the Exmouth Colts clash against Kingsbridge at the Imperial Ground on Saturday. Picture : Simon Horn

Copyright Archant Ltd

Clifton 58pts, Exmouth 22 Tribute South West One With their coach, ex-England international Mark Regan, prowling the touchline, this Clifton side looked a slick outfit right from the start and they totally dominated the first 40 minutes.

Clifton 58pts, Exmouth 22Tribute South West OneWith their coach, ex-England international Mark Regan, prowling the touchline, this Clifton side looked a slick outfit right from the start and they totally dominated the first 40 minutes. To their credit Exmouth controlled most of the second half but they did not have the same penetration and fire power as the home side to get back into the game. In glorious sunshine Clare Daniels, one the world's leading lady referees, got the game under way and the Cockles quickly went three points down to an early John Barnes penalty. In as many minutes the Cockles were on the wrong end of a 22-0 scoreline with winger Andy Bell crossing the line twice after shrugging off some poor tackling. As the game moved into the second quarter, Exmouth were down to 14 players when Ms Daniels produced her first yellow card. Clifton quickly added further punishment. Over the next 20 minutes Clifton played some champagne rugby and crossed the Exmouth line five times. Tries from backs Barnaby Kent and Ollier Sills started the assault and hooker Sam Wilkes grabbed one before No 8 John Levis scored a brace. Richard Cadywould responded with a penalty ten minutes before half time when on another day a deliberate knock-on by a Clifton winger might have attracted a yellow card. Running out for the second half facing a 46-3 deficit was a daunting prospect for the Cockles. They took the game to Clifton, played in their opponents' half and after 20 minutes got their reward. The lively Jack Downie started it off with a strong run and when he was held up skipper Garry Hooper was on hand to cross over for a try. Cadywould converted. Not to be outdone, Clifton responded by scoring a further two tries through lock Darren Barry and full-back Sam Smee.Although Barry's try was a real peach, it was a poor kick from the Exmouth defence that had passed possession back to them. Ten minutes from time flanker Ben Boswell touched down and just on time scored another following a strong run by lock James Finnegan. This Saturday (2.30pm) the Cockles entertain Redingensians who travel as South West One leaders.Exmouth U15s 19 pts,Okehampton 12Exmouth started this match buoyed up by a good win the previous week against Exeter Saracens. The warnings were given pre-match that every match is different and that there is no room for complacency so the start was critical and could not have gone better. From Tom Steer's kick-off, Paul Bright put the visitors under pressure to be rewarded with a kick-and-chase try after 10 seconds.Steer's next touch was to convert from a difficult angle, but he slotted it with ease.Exmouth's early confidence was knocked by a spirited display from Okehampton who refused to be intimidated despite some very good runs by the home side's backs. This doggedness and determination was rewarded late in the first half with a try and conversion.Exmouth received some well chosen advice from their coaches which they put into practice in the second half. They were rewarded with a try by Steer after a number of backs made surging runs into the visitors' half. The conversion made it 14-7.The Cockles were unlucky to not score more tries during a good passage of play. They persevered and were finally rewarded when Bright went over again. The angle was too great for Bright to convert.Okehampton continued to play well and their efforts were rewarded with a late unconverted try.There really were no star players for Exmouth and there is still plenty of work to do. But to win when you are playing under par is usually a sign of a good team. The Cockles face Sidmouth in a friendly this Sunday.Cullompton 48pts, Withycombe 7Western Counties WestThere is a description in horse racing 'the going is firm to hard' and that could be said of Withycombe's visit to Cullompton. The ground was firm and as the match progressed the going got harder for Withycombe. Yet again there were changes in the team, which does not help when playing more settled sides.It was good to see Adan Rowe back in the Withycombe line-out as he was able to win most of his own side's throw-ins.When Withycombe were penalised at a scrum five metres from their own line, Cullompton scored from it and converted. A penalty soon followed for a 10-0 lead.Withycombe then mounted an attacking move which was halted when Sam Abbot hurt his shoulder and needed treatment.Withycombe continued to attack and gradually Cullompton conceeded penalty after penalty. Withies spurned kicks at goal in favour of attacking the try line, but failed to break through.Cullompton kicked a penalty and converted a try early in the second half to go 13-0 up.Withycombe won the ball back from the restart and a move from a line-out put Clinton Martin in for a try that Jack Pugsley converted.Going into the last 20 minutes, referee Cyril Illman was taken ill after aggravating a hernia. He was replaced by Marc Simon who had just finished officiating a colts' game Cullompton continued to attack and the speed of their backs showed up the frailties of the Withycombe defence. Cullompton scored four times to put the result beyond any doubt.Despite the score line Withycombe showed signs of spirit and certainly the forwards demonstrated they are playing well together. Softer ground would suit their game. When the backs hooked up they played well. Decisions made on the field and the quality of the tackling have to improve. Withycombe's preparations were hindered by the sudden resignation of coach Chris Edwards, who threw in the towel on the morning of the game."The committee were very sorry to hear Chris' decision on Saturday morning to resign his position as coach," said Withies' Nigel Sueter."The committee have made it very clear to him that he will be always welcome at Withycombe, in either an official or personal capacity. "With the benefit of hindsight, it was wrong for Chris to willingly undertake both the managing and coaching positions and for the committee not to have put in place a supporting structure for him."Going forward, we will not make this mistake again. "We also hope his son, Stephen, will continue playing for us when he recovers full fitness."Exmouth Colts 27ptsKingsbridge 7After last week's Merit Table win over local rivals Sidmouth, Exmouth entertained Kingsbridge in a home friendly. A shaky start from Exmouth led to early pressure from a supposedly weakened Kingsbridge side. Continued forward dominance by the visitors tested the Exmouth defence throughout the first 20 minutes. However, the Cockles pushed through and with a break away by Dan Macleod opened up the pitch, leading to an effortless offload to Anthony Tribble to score from 60 metres out. Exmouth now stepped up a gear and with great interplay Ty Tuckett put Lloyd Murrin through wide out. The home team were now 12-0 up with 10 minutes left of the first half, but Kingsbridge hit back. A drive-over try and conversion made the score 12-7 at the break. With fresh legs on the pitch, Exmouth were determined to put away this game.Kingsbridge looked threatening at the start of the second half, but Exmouth were too strong for the visitors.Five minutes in, Murrin potted an excellent drop-goal from 35 metres out to extend the lead. With both teams battling it out this friendly became very competitive. With only 10 minutes left, Man of the Match Tom Parry and the Exmouth pack took a scrum ball against the head to allow Ben Waistell to crash to the line. Murrin converted, increasing the lead to 20-7.With the game wrapped up, Exmouth added to the score line with a last-minute try by Joe Parkin, through brilliant handling and support play.Exmouth have had a fantastic start to the season and are looking to be on course for silverware this year. l Exmouth Nomads defeated Bideford Quins 38-14 at the Imperial Ground.Bideford, who travelled a player short, kept Exmouth to 14-14 at half time, but were blown away after the interval.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists