Penalty count costing Cockles

PUBLISHED: 10:11 10 October 2008 | UPDATED: 09:46 10 June 2010

P1129-41-08SH Sidmouth 3rds played Exmouth 3rds at the Blackmore ground on Saturday.
Picture:Simon Horn.

P1129-41-08SH Sidmouth 3rds played Exmouth 3rds at the Blackmore ground on Saturday. Picture:Simon Horn.

Copyright Archant Ltd

Exmouth 19pts, Redingensians 24 South West One Redingensians travelled from Sonning in Berkshire as undefeated divisional leaders. Although the Cockles were again on the wrong end of the score, they will know they created enough opportunities to have won

Exmouth 19pts,Redingensians 24South West OneRedingensians travelled from Sonning in Berkshire as undefeated divisional leaders. Although the Cockles were again on the wrong end of the score, they will know they created enough opportunities to have won this entertaining game. Exmouth have now played four of the top sides in the division. Although there may be concerns about the penalty count, and their need to create more attacking lines, there is ample evidence to suggest Exmouth can live at this level.The Cockles took the gamble to play with the strong wind in the first half. Although they had a narrow lead at half time, they could have had a bigger cushion had they taken their opportunities when they were the better side. Garry Hooper, who played a real captain's role throughout, showed his talent with a run from one 22 to the other, only to be matched by visiting centre Seb Reynolds, who was hauled down just short of the line. With just 15 minutes played the mounting Exmouth penalty count was punished by referee Dino Maddern of the Gloucester Society when he sin-binned full-back Tom Elliott. The Cockles were not fazed by being a player down and continued to get their set pieces right. When hooker Ed Baxter skillfully fielded a high ball the following play produced a penalty shot. The strong wind did not help and the ball went wide. The restart by the visitors was well returned by Matt Ryan and, when a Redingensians player was yellow carded, another opportunity to kick three points was missed. Exmouth kept the pressure on. New boy Nick Grant, having his first run out at 10, tried a drop kick and Richard Cadywould playing at centre weaved his way through the Redingensians' defence, only to be held up short of the line. The pressure was mounting and, when another Redingensians player was carded close to their own line, Exmouth opted for a scrum. Chris Strong capped a fine personal performance when he touched down the push-over try. Cadywould converted as Exmouth took a thoroughly deserved 7-0 lead. They should have pushed on from there, but with half time beckoning a poor defensive option gifted the ball to visiting winger Juao Costa, and the Portuguese international scored an unconverted try wide out.Exmouth now had to face the strong wind still blowing in from the river and with only six minutes played Redingensians gained the lead through another try by Costa. Will Matthews slotted another penalty shortly after. When moments later only a knock-on prevented another score, the Cockles were looking a bit shaky. From a scrum, on their own line, Exmouth relieved the pressure by kicking to touch. The Redingensians' line-out was a bit scrappy and from open play Hooper pounced on the ball and ran 75 yards to score close in. Cadywould converted and Exmouth were back in the lead at 14-13. Exmouth then conceded three penalties in the next five minutes, the last of which Matthews converted, and with threequarters of the game played Redingensians were back in the lead at 16-14. With fifteen minutes remaining, Hooper again took the attack to the Redingensians' line, but when he was stopped a visitors' counter attack took them to the Exmouth line. In defending Exmouth knocked-on. From the scrum, Gavin Marsh crashed over. This was probably the killer blow but when another penalty right in front of the posts gifted three points to Redingensians the game was over. The 24-14 scoreline did not reflect the Exmouth effort and right on time flanker John Bird scored a try to bring some consolation. Exmouth U14 17pts, Tavistock 12Devon CupEXMOUTH kept cool under pressure to snatch victory in an action-packed game.Tavistock soon showed they wanted to play an expansive game backed up by a hard-hitting pack to provide good ball.Exmouth, showing their credentials, were equal to the visitors in all areas.Tavistock drew first blood when a wide ball put one of their wingers over in the corner for an unconverted score.Exmouth then started to play their trademark game, resulting in left-wing Connor Deighton scoring almost unchallenged. Bradley Neilsen converted.During a period of increased pressure, the Cockles changed the game plan. Twenty minutes in a ball was fired from the base to Neilsen. He kicked to the corner where right-wing Ollie Sims collected to run in Exmouth's second try. Neilsen converted.Tavistock came back hard, but the Cockles' defence held strong until a couple of unforced errors won them a scrum under the posts.Despite a big tackle from centre Jake Cunningham, Tavistock scored and converted to level the game 12-each at half time.The second half was end-to-end stuff with both teams trying to break the lines.In the last few minutes Simon Hartery kicked and chased upfield and pipped the defence for the touchdown.With minutes left the Exmouth team tightened and played all the rugby in the visitors' half.Exmouth's Man of the Match went to Hartery.The U14s are away to Kingsbridge this Sunday.Sidmouth 3rd XV 7pts,Exmouth 3rd XV 28THE Nomads started in lively fashion and after five minutes opened the scoring with a try by prop Mark Rowsell.Play went from end to end with the Exmouth forwards well on top. However, a breakaway try by the Sidmouth fly-half saw them go 7-5 up.Just before the half-time whistle, Exmouth's Bungy Blyth sprinted over the Sidmouth try line to score. The conversion was missed which put Exmouth 10-7 up at half time.The second half started with the Nomads still dominating play. Within five minute they were awarded a penalty that Ed Kirk converted. After continued pressure the Exmouth forwards scored a push-over try with skipper Ian Urmston taking the honours. Shortly after Simon Tate went over to add his name to the score sheet with a try. Exmouth's final score came when Dean Bywood finished off a good passage of play between the forwards and backs to go over for a try. During the second half Exmouth made six changes, which included a complete front row of youngster, who came on and acquitted themselves very well.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal