Injuries make it hard for Quins

PUBLISHED: 09:31 31 October 2008 | UPDATED: 09:55 10 June 2010

Exmouth Quins 8pts, Newton Abbot 2nd XV 43 Devon Merit Table The game got off to a perfect start for Exmouth. Within four minutes they took the lead with a well-worked forwards' try from a Newton line-out when Dean Davis went over.

Exmouth Quins 8pts, Newton Abbot 2nd XV 43Devon Merit TableThe game got off to a perfect start for Exmouth. Within four minutes they took the lead with a well-worked forwards' try from a Newton line-out when Dean Davis went over.For the next 15 minutes or so Exmouth played good, attacking rugby which did not allow Newton out of their own half.With so much pressure on their opponents, Exmouth were awarded a penalty right in front of the posts. Fly-half Simon Wade converted for an 8-0 lead.Unfortunately for Exmouth, even with most of the pressure, they could not add to the scoreline. Around 10 minutes before half time the Cockles sustain injuries to flanker Adam Bond and Wade.The necessary changes saw players filling-in out of position for Exmouth, which allowed Newton Abbot back into the game. By half time the All Whites had trimmed the deficit to a point.The second half was a completely different story as Newton Abbot came out with the bit between their teeth.Within 15 minutes of the restart the All Whites had scored three converted tries and a penalty to go 31-8 up.Things got worse for Exmouth when prop Andy Lendon had to go off with a neck injury. The game had to continue with uncontested scrums. Newton came up with two more tries to make the final score 43-8.This Saturday the Quins host Sidmouth in the league, hoping to put in a better second-half performance than last Saturday.Exmouth U14s 12pts, Torquay Ath 10A TOUGH and difficult fixture awaited the Cockles against a physical and fast-moving Torquay side. From the start it was clear the visitors planned to take the game to Exmouth. After a bruising first five minutes, which saw the Tics camped in the home 22, the breakthrough came. Quick ball away from the breakdown allowed Torquay's outside-half to punch through and put the first score on the board.The Cockles, resilient and confident in their own ability, re-grouped and moved the ball into the opponents' half. Slick and impressive passing from the Exmouth backs resulted in Elliott Rice diving over for the equalising try. Bradley Nielsen converted.The pressure was almost constant with the pack controlling every breakdown and delivering clean ball to the hungry backs.Exmouth's forward momentum produced a second try from a determined run by Simon Hartery.Torquay came out after half time fired up. A period of sustained pressure saw Torquay get close, only to be thwarted by a dogged and well-drilled Exmouth defensive line. As time clicked on it looked more and more likely that Exmouth would be victorious. In the last throws of the game Torquay found a way through to score their second try. Although the conversion was taken twice, due to an infringement, Torquay were unable to level the scores.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal