East Devon Eagles soar to Grand Final success

PUBLISHED: 19:46 11 August 2010

exsp rugby league Eagles cup win

exsp rugby league Eagles cup win


There's silverware once more at Exmouth based East Devon Eagles rugby league team after they lifted the South West Grand Final trophy with victory over Devon Sharks at Tiverton.

THE East Devon Eagles lifted the South West Grand Final with a 37-32 victory over Devon Sharks, writes Jan McCauley.

The Final served up a nail-biting, thrill-a-minute, encounter and it says much for the strength in depth of the Eagles squad that they lifted the Cup, despite travelling to Tiverton for the Final with a number of players having to play out of position owing to injury and unavailability.

Eagles struck first with James Holman scoring an unconverted try, but the Sharks found an immediate response, bagging a brace of tries, both converted, to seize the early initiative.

In the 18th minute, Jack Westlake made the hard yards then offloaded to Paul Morgan who had Rich Cadywould in support.

He received the ball, played two dummies and then switched the ball on to his skipper, Mark Wathes, who touched down under the posts, Cadywould converting.

Five minutes later a pass from Westlake out to Holman on halfway, saw him make a solo touchline run to go over and, once again, the trusty boot of Cadywould added the extras.

On the half hour, a Sharks interception saw them score under the posts with the score converted and, just before the break, Eagles player-coach Tony Emmins was held up just short of the line, the ball went out to Wathes who dived over by the corner flag and Cadywould tucked the conversion away.

There was still time for Sharks to reply with an unconverted try and Cadywould to respond with a drop goal, sending Eagles in 23-22 ahead at the break.

From the re-start, Sharks scored and converted, but were then dealt a blow when one of their players was hurt in a clash of heads that left him needing subsequent hospital treatment and seven stitches.

Trailing by a point, Eagles found a new gear and struck with three quick tries from Westlake, Morgan and Emmins to power into the lead.

There was still time for another reply by the Sharks, but that proved to be the final score of the contest, Eagles winning a thriller, 37-32.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists