Madeira bowler Aaron Southgate into last eight of the area Champion of Champions competition
- Credit: Archant
Saturday morning saw Aaron Southgate playing against D Holloway of Culm Vale in the National Champion of Champions singles competition, writes Jenny Smith.
By winning 21 shots to 11, Aaron has reached the quarter-final stage of the Devon/Cornwall area of the competition.
Jacky Howle and Courtney Seers played for Devon this weekend in the John’s Trophy game against Worcestershire which Devon won.
They were pleased to meet up with Liz Smerdon, who had played at Madeira until last year and who was, on Saturday, awarded a certificate to recognise her achievement of 50 games in the Walker Cup.
It’s been disappointing to have one or two friendly games cancelled recently, but Madeira sent four mixed rinks to Belmont in the return fixture with this club.
You may also want to watch:
When Belmont visited Madeira in May the home team won so Belmont were looking to even the score.
At tea time it certainly looked as if they would be successful: Madeira were losing on three rinks and trailing by nine shots.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 4 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
- 7 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
But it is true that it can all change after tea. By the end of the match Madeira had won on three rinks to win the match by eight shots with the final score being 78-70.
On a tricky green, the top rink was skipped by Geoff Furminger with ladies’ captain, Jude Latta, Mike Ball and new bowler David West.