Local Football

Heavitree Arms 7, Barley Celtic 0 Exeter Sunday Premier Division Adam Turner stole the show, firing his second hat-trick of the season in this thrashing of lowly Barley Celtic.

Heavitree Arms 7, Barley Celtic 0Exeter Sunday Premier DivisionAdam Turner stole the show, firing his second hat-trick of the season in this thrashing of lowly Barley Celtic. Heavitree were strong favourites and didn't disappoint the dedicated fans at Greenaway Lane. Turner and Matt Dawson continued to lead the Heavitree front line and shared five goals between them on Sunday morning. From the first whistle Celtic were under pressure with Craig Leak, Dan Plater, Alex Wicks and Taylor driving the side forward from midfield. Taking advantage of the space given to them, Arms enjoyed some good possession and were playing some of their best passing football of the season. After 10 minutes Heavitree were 2-0 up. For the first goal Alex Wicks was brought down inside the box, Turner converting the resulting penalty. For the second goal a neat passing move involving Sean Roach, Scott Mapp and Dan Plater was neatly finished by Matt Dawson. Continued pressure on the Barley defence saw two further goals giving Arms a comfortable 4-0 advantage at the half-time break. A strike courtesy of Dawson and a superbly worked goal, after neat interchanges between Roach, Turner, Taylor and Plater, left Wicks with a simple chance to fire home. Heavitree refused to sit back on their lead and started the second half looking for more goals. It didn't take long for Turner to score his second, substitute Lloyd Murrin linking up well with Lee Clark, before finding Turner who neatly turned his marker and beat the advancing keeper. Gareth Wicks was introduced on the left wing and Rich Brown joined Leak and James Nicholls in the centre of midfield. Brown added the sixth of the game on 80 minutes. After good build-up from Roach and Taylor, the ball was slotted into Turner's path. He cut inside and beat the keeper, only for his shot to hit the upright. Brown reacted quickest, slotting home inside the left-hand post. Sandy Allen in the Heavitree goal was a spectator for much of the game but made a couple of fine saves from the few attacks Celtic had. In the dying moments Turner added his third after a poor clearance was picked up by Nicholls, who threaded a neat through ball for Turner to slot home. There were some outstanding performances on the day by Roach, Leak and Plater but Turner was awarded the Man of the Match.Ottery 1, Exmouth Town 1 Peninsular League EastA local derby as the last game of the year was eagerly anticipated as second-placed Ottery played host to fifth-placed Exmouth. With Town playing down the slope in the first half, the opening exchanges were evenly contested with the clearest chance falling to Adam Turner, who should have been more selfish in front of goal rather than trying to play Ben Shepherd in to score.Ottery started to gain control of midfield, where Jack Civill was having a fine match, and the attacking skill of Dave O'Connor caused Town's defence problems. As the first half wore on, Ottery were clearly the superior team with better movement and use of the wings. A warning for Town came when a shot hit the top of the visitors' bar and flew over. After 20 minutes Ottery took the lead when a queue of attackers were waiting at the far post for the ball to be delivered from the right wing. The ball fell to O'Connor who clinically beat Tony Ali in the Town goal. Despite dominating possession for the remainder of the first half, Ottery failed to create any more clear-cut chances and Town were grateful to be only behind by a goal at the interval. The start to the second half mirrored the end of the previous 45 minutes with Ottery camped in the Town half and Adrian Pullin a virtual spectator in the home goal. However, a fierce battle in midfield was being played out that led to some heavy tackles and resulted in a number of bookings. Ottery still dominated the possession and two clearances off the line by McManus and Rollason kept Town in the match. Midway through the second half another heavy tackle saw a number of players get far too over excited as the festive spirit game to a premature end.The referee rightly booked a number of players with two lucky not to have been red carded. With 20 minutes left the flu-stricken Tom Lowe was replaced by Adam Rowden, who made an immediate impact on the left side for Town. He started linking with Dan Plater, who had one of his best games so far this season. Up to this point you were more likely to see Elvis or Lord Lucan in the Ottery half than a Town player. Suddenly, Kerry Butler and Andy Rollason started to assert their authority in midfield and Shepherd, who worked tirelessly, started winning balls in the air. With 10 minutes left, Town began to look like getting a goal. With five minutes left, a fine ball from Rollason over the defence gave Turner a great chance, which he took by coolly lobbing the advancing keeper.The final few minutes could have seen Town score again. But this would not have been a fair reflection of the game and Ottery must be disappointed they were unable to convert so much possession into goals. Town are away to Liverton this Saturday.Budleigh Salterton 1, Willand Rovers 1D&E Senior OneBudleigh welcomed in-form Willand to Greenway Lane and a tough game was expected.Budleigh made a fine start and took the lead after 15 minutes when Scott Howarth's clever back heel and then cross was met by Scott Thornhill, who struck the post, only to smash home the rebound. Thornhill's strong run and shot clipped the outside of the post. Willand then had a long-range effort that hit the bar and bounced out. Budleigh really should have made more of the chances that came there way in the first half, but looked far the better side when half-time came.The second half was a different matter and Willand showed what a good footballing side they are, putting Budleigh's defence of Bennett, Pallett,Wicks and Bradshaw under pressure.Willand got their equaliser with 20 minutes remaining to set up a fine finish.With 10 minutes left Thornhill got away down the right and forced the visiting keeper into a fine save.From the resulting corner Steve Tweedie should have scored from six yards out, but his header flew over.This was Budleigh's 12th game unbeaten and they will be looking to extend that this Saturday at home to Broadclyst.East Budleigh Res 3, Halwill Res 0D&E Intermediate ThreeTHIS was a comfortable victory for East Budleigh Reserves, eventually wrapped up in the final quarter.A brace from Lee Irvine and a solitary strike from Luke Kelsall gave Budleigh victory in a game they controlled from the word go.The opening goal came in the 21st minute; Kelsall laid the ball off perfectly for Irvine, who strode forward to fire a right-foot finish across the keeper and into the corner of the net.Budleigh continued to have the lion's share of possession and a good move involving Simon Pearce and Adam Jones led to Kelsall hitting a shot marginally wide.The Budleigh defence of Martin Williams, Kevin Hawthorne, Andy Case and Matt Jones were doing a good job as keeper Darren Fardoe had a relatively quiet afternoon.Three minutes before the break Williams made a marauding run down the right before sending over a peach of a cross for Carl Chown, whose header was inches from making it two.The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Halwill relying on the odd breakaway but, despite their territorial supremacy, Budleigh were finding it hard to kill the game. Jamie Drummond went closest with a run and shot from the edge of the box.The pressure finally told in the 74th minute when Matt Chown's corner found its way to Kelsall, who drilled an effort through a crowded area and into the net.Five minutes later Irvine challenged a back pass with the opposing keeper, robbed him and proceded to slide the ball into an unguarded goal to complete an excellent result.Man of the match went to Hawthorne for his commanding defensive display.This Saturday Budleigh visit Priory, whilst the first team, whose game was called off last week, visit Elmore in Senior Division One (both 2.15pm).

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus