Leadbetter strike seals points for Budleigh U14 girls
- Credit: Archant
Budleigh Salterton U14 girls were worthy winners of their latest Devon Girls League fixture, defeating Brixham 1-0 at Greenway Lane, writes SpursTom.
Brixham arrived at Greenway Lane with only seven players, and the Budleigh Salterton management team agreed to playing a seven-a-side match with the approval of the referee.
The teams took to the field in bright sunshine, but with a cold wind blowing, and showed a willingness to compete.
Though the visitors had the advantage of the wind at their backs, it was the young Robinettes who broke the deadlock in the first half.
It was Amy Leadbetter, who, having controlled a pass, then outpaced the defenders before drilling the ball into the top left corner of the net – a delightful goal – and one worthy of winning any match!
You may also want to watch:
Brixham hit back well, but they were denied twice by wonderful saves from Budleigh goalkeeper Millie Hardman.
In the second half the Brixham defence came under intense pressure, but their goalkeeper, Lauren Skerton, made some fine saves to deny the home side on a number of occasions.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 10 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
Those watching showed their appreciation by applauding the teams as they walked off the pitch. This Sunday (March 24), Budleigh are at home in the U14s League Cup against table-topping Crediton.