Last-gasp Matthew strike rescues what could yet be a big point for East Budleigh
- Credit: Archant
Liam Matthew rescued East Budleigh with a last-ditch goal to give the Jays a share of the spoils in an entertaining Macron League Division Three game at home to Clyst Valley that ended 1-1.
Budleigh had the better of the first half, playing with the stiff breeze, and should have been at least a couple of goals up at the interval.
Tom Chudley, who was having a good game on the left flank, and Jacob Rice, on the right, combined to cause the visiting defence all sorts of problems.
On another day, Dan Atkinson would have bagged a hat-trick! Both Chudley and Rice laid on chances that went begging, whilst, from midfield, Liam West and Hugo Demetre were controlling the game and, when the latter carved out a neat pass to Chudley, the latter was unlucky not to score.
The second period was always going to be harder for Budleigh, playing against the wind, and, as the half wore on, the visitors came more into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Indeed, with 73 minutes on the watch, the inevitable happened and the away side scored. Budleigh threw caution to the wind and Matthew headed just wide from another Chudley centre before the last-gasp equaliser arrived. Chudley swung in a corner and, when the ball dropped, Matthew produced a fine acrobatic finish. For Budleigh, Chudley stood out, whilst Darren Everest was his usual steady self. Budleigh are in action tonight (Wednesday) against neighbours Budleigh Salterton at Vicarage Road (6.30pm).
East Budleigh Reserves are back at Ottery St Mary on Thursday (April 18) when they play Sidmouth thirds in a Golesworthy Cup semi-final tie, with kick off at Washbrook Meadow at 7pm.
- 1 Couple walking from Exmouth to Swanage in memory of Pippa
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 4 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 5 Chamber inundated with snaps of Exmouth and Budleigh at sunrise and sunset
- 6 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 7 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 8 Food Drink Devon opens entries for 2021 awards
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 Risk and opportunities even when moving house - Sandra Sampson