Haywood Newlands nets as Town Under-15s draw pre-season friendly
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth Town Under-15s shared two goals with visiting Stoke Hill in what was a well-contested friendly fixture.
In their first game this season on the hallowed turf of Southern Road and against higher level opponents, Town looked confident and sharp from the first whistle.
In what was a very even first half it was town who took the lead.
Some great play down the right involving Cody Leaster, Scott Boddy and Billy Rowsell was rounded off when Rowsell fired in a cross that found its way to Mac Haywood Newlands and he twisted and turned before drilling the ball home.
There were chances for both sides soon after, but it was just before half-time that parity was restored with Stoke Hill tucking away a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, there was plenty of end-to-end football, but both defences proved mighty difficult to unlock!
Town almost won it at the end when good build-up play involving Charlie James, Sam Quine, Boddy and Will Lucas, saw the latter fizz a ball across the box which beat everyone including the on-rushing Ned Mills!
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 4 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 5 Mental health nurse turned patient gearing up for sponsored walk to fund book
- 6 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 7 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 8 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 9 Jon Sopel event boosts St Peters’ Chromebook appeal
- 10 Date set for Exmouth woman's murder trial
The result was a fair reflection on a fine game and both sets of coaches would have been delighted with their teams’ performances.