Haque nets as Budleigh U16s are beaten by Millwey Rise
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Budleigh Salterton Under-16s were beaten 4-1 when they entertained Millwey Rise in an Exeter & District Youth League game, writes SpursTom.
It was the visiting team that started brightly and they nearly scored in the opening minutes, but the ball was cleared off the Budleigh goal line!
Soon after, a well-timed interception by Zac Shepherd averted more danger.
The deadlock was finally broken on 25 minutes when the visitors put together a slick right wing raid that ended with their striker firing the ball beyond Robins’ glovesman Matt Brown for what proved to be the only goal of the first half.
At the start of the second half, it was the turn of the home side to see an effort cleared off the goal line.
You may also want to watch:
The Robins continued to press and they were rewarded for the persistence with a goal from Sazid Haque on 52 minutes when he won the ball from two defenders before picking his spot to level things up.
Sadly, that was as good as it got for the young Robins, whose heads began to drop, after Millwey regained the lead.
- 1 Double celebration as iconic pub reopens with new look
- 2 Steve hopes community will help lifesaving research at awareness event
- 3 Inquest into death of Exmouth teenager found at Orcombe Point
- 4 Exmouth woman denies murdering her partner Nigel Johnston
- 5 Exmouth man sent to Broadmoor for B&B sex attack
- 6 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 7 The sun shines on East Devon knockout finals
- 8 East Devon cracker to start the Peninsula season
- 9 Regeneration of Exmouth town centre and Dinan Way extension under discussion
- 10 Rotarians busy making plans for Queen's jubilee
The visitors went on to add two more goals in quick succession to eventually seal a 4-1 success.
Budleigh needed to be tighter on their marking, close down the opposition, but most of all communicate with each other.