Gazelles beaten by powerful Comets in Exmouth Netball League meeting
- Credit: Archant
Gazelles, playing their fifth game of the Exmouth Netball League season, went down 72-18 against a powerful and vastly more experienced Comets side, writes Hayley Taylor.
Gazelles, with a striking new look courtesy of their news sponsored kit – many thanks to sponsors Pro Juice and CBS – went into the contest in confident mood.
However, Comets are a well established side and their experience and clinical finishing shone in a first quarter that ended with Comets holding a 19-4 lead.
Shannon Darke came on as WD for Gazelles in the second quarter and, making the most of her height, managed to interrupt Comets’ flow down court with a number of timely interceptions.
Gazelles struggled to capitalise on the few opportunities that they had and Comets’ accomplished shooting partnership of Tracey Abbot and Cara Monaghan is not easily distracted, leaving Gazelles trailing 34-6 at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
In the third quarter, Gazelles player-coach Sally George returned to court as WA and, together with Lauren Coates at C, the pair provided efficient support around the circle and, as a result, shooters Alison Horton and Rhian Rose were able to produce some impressive shooting giving the team a much needed boost of confidence, and the third quarter ended with Comets leading 54-15.
The final quarter was all about defence with Comets’ Yvonne Sparkes claiming her usual clutch of dynamic interceptions.
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 4 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 5 Mental health nurse turned patient gearing up for sponsored walk to fund book
- 6 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 7 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 8 Date set for Exmouth woman's murder trial
- 9 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 10 Ban for driver who injured cyclist in Budleigh
However, the Gazelles defensive unit of ‘Hannah and Anna’, worked tirelessly to the end. Anna was rewarded with a number of interceptions and was just a fingertip away from claiming more.
Unfortunately for Gazelles, they were unable to sustain the shooting success of the third quarter and Comets sailed to a decisive victory.