Test your knowledge of football with the Journal festive Football Quiz II
PUBLISHED: 14:13 23 December 2011 | UPDATED: 18:36 23 December 2011
Here's the Journal's Festive Football Quiz II - another that is ideally suited to being copy and pasted and passed around the family!
1. Who are the only English Football league club whose name begins with FIVE consonants?
2. Who were the last club to win the FA Cup at the old Wembley and the first to win at the new stadium?
3. Who was the first female referee’s assistant in England?
4. Which team won the first FIVE European Cup competitions?
5. What were introduced to football in 1874?
6. What became mandatory on football kit in 1939?
7. Who were the first two teams to be featured in the first ever televised football match in 1936?
8. Who was the first player to play 1,000 matches in first class football?
9. Name the three Scunthorpe footballers to have captained England?
10. Which is the ONLY English League team that’s name (the letters of it) cannot be filled in with a pen?
11. Name the two Australians to have won the European Cup with Liverpool?
12. Name three players to have played for England with THREE O’s in their surnames?
13. Name the SEVEN British football teams that names start and finish with the same letter?
14. Who played for England whilst also playing for Glasgow Rangers?
15. Name nine players who have played for England with surnames of just FOUR letters?
(Questions 16-25 are all based on World Cup trivia)
16 How old was Pele when he scored in his first World Cup final?
17 In which city was the first match of the 2002 World Cup played?
18 Which nation lost in the final of successive World Cups in the 1980s?
19 Who presented the Jules Rimet Trophy to the 1934 World Cup winners?
20 Which country hosted the World Cup in 1982?
21 In which World Cup finals was the greatest number of goals scored, 171 in total?
22 Who scored for England after just 27 seconds of a World Cup match in 1982?
23 Which player holds the record for the most goals scored in a World Cup tournament?
24 Who is the only player to play in three World Cup winning sides?
25 Name the five African countries that took part in the 2002 World Cup finals.
And here’s an anagram game for all Manchester United supporters -
From the words below can you work out which past or current Manchester United player they are?
1 CORONATION LAD SIR _________________________
2 FRIEND OR A NID _________________________
3 TIN OCEAN CAR _________________________
4 BLESS IN TOBY _________________________
5 EG GET SOBER _________________________
6 AH WELCOME IN _________________________
7 TOP LEVEL SPEC _________________________
8 O NEVER SHARE WAG ____________________________
9 ROWYE ANYONE ____________________________
10 RY SAGGING ____________________________
Answers 1. Crystal Palace. 2, Chelsea, 3, Wendy Toms, 4, Real Madrid, 5. Shin Pads, 6, Numbers, 7, Arsenal and Everton, 8 Pat Jennings, 9 Kevin Keegan, Ray Clemence and Ian Botham. 10 Hull City 11. Craig Johnston and Harry Kewell, 12 Peter Osgood, Ian Storey-Moore and Tony Woodcock 13. Liverpool, York City, Charlton Athletic, Aston Villa, Alloa, Dundee United, Kilmarnock. 14 Paul Gascoigne. 15 Paul Ince, Roger Hunt, Michael Owen, Alan Ball, Colin Bell, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Andy Cole, Gordon Hill.
16 Pele was 17, 17 Seoul, 18 West Germany, 19 Benito Mussolini, 20 Spain,21 The 1998 World Cup in France, 22 Bryan Robson, 23 Just Fontaine, with 13 goals in 1958, 24 The great Pele again, in 58, 62 and 70, 25 South Africa, Tunisia, Cameroon, Nigeria and Senegal
The Manchester United player anagrams;
1 Cristiano Ronaldo, 2 Rio Ferdinand, 3 Eric Cantona, 4 Nobby Stiles, 5 George Best, 6 Michael Owen, 7 Steve Coppell, 8 Owen Hargreaves, 9 Wayne Rooney 10. Ryan Giggs