Robins crash out of Devon Premier Cup

PUBLISHED: 09:52 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 09:52 14 February 2018

Football on pitch

Football on pitch

(c) Image Source

Budleigh Salterton went out of the Devon Premier Cup at the quarter-final stage, beaten by a single goal by Teignmouth, writes Alan Beer.

The two sides had met at Greenway Lane just seven days before to contest South West Peninsula League Eastern Division League points, and the Robins had been good value for a 3-2 success to climb to third in the table.

However, a week on, and despite fielding the same team, the Robins were a shadow of the side that had looked so sharp in the league encounter.

They had plenty of the ball and, certainly for the last third of the contest, spent much of it deep in Teignmouth territory, but the final pass, which had been drilled so effectively the week before, was sadly missing and the visitors took the semi-final spot thanks to a goal scored early in the second half, and one that was born out of a mistake in the Budleigh defence.

The first 25 minutes of the cup tie saw both teams looking to gain a foothold in the contest, but neither goalkeeper was called into action until, nine minutes before the break, Miles James saw his shot well saved by Budleigh glovesman Alan Doble.

In first half added time, Teignmouth’s Geoff Breslan – who had sat out the league meeting – struck a free-kick that was heading towards the back of the net only for Doble to again show his qualities with a smart save.

Eight minutes into the second half there was a rare moment of indecision in the Budleigh defence and the ball was not cleared; it fell, somewhat fortunately, to Jamie Moore, who had time to look up and place the ball beyond Doble for what would prove to be the only goal of the match.

Two minutes after falling behind, Budleigh almost shipped a second when former Robins player Jack Greenslade got free of his marker and looked set to score, but he too was denied by a splendid Doble save!

Thereafter, it was a case of Budleigh being on the front foot, but the one time they seriously threatened the Teignmouth goal, visiting goalkeeper Luke Ashford made a fine save to deny George Pannell’s 20-yard strike.

The closing stages saw Budleigh still very much on the front foot, but, sadly, as had been the case throughout the contest, as promising as their approach play was, the all-important final pass was not forthcoming and the Greenway Lane faithful will have to wait another 12 months before getting excited about Devon Premier Cup success.

On Saturday (February 17) Budleigh turn their attention back to league matters when they travel to South Devon to meet the side currently sitting bottom of the Eastern Division, Liverton (3pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal