Lympstone Under-8s win Exeter City tournament

PUBLISHED: 12:53 31 January 2018

Boy playing football

Boy playing football


Lympstone Under-8s were invited to play in an Exeter City FC organised five-a-side tournament under floodlights at the new 3G pitch at the Grecians' training ground, and it proved to be an experience that the Lympets youngsters will surely never forget.

Going into the competition, the Lympstone squad had realistic expectations given their small status amongst some of the ‘bigger clubs’, such as Barnstaple, Crediton and Heavitree, who were also invited.

The competition format was one of 10-minute games with all the teams playing each other once, leading to a grand final between the teams finishing the ‘group’ stage as the top two.

Lympstone began with a terrific 2-1 win over Barnstaple thanks to a brace of goals from the talented Freddie Carlsen-Browne.

That was followed by a couple of narrow defeats with the Lympstone youngsters getting a tad too excited and putting all their efforts into attacking play while forgetting the art of defending!

For the fourth game, Freddie Connock came out of goal to provide extra resilience in defence and the change worked a treat as Galmington were defeated 2-1.

The fifth game saw the Lympstone youngsters race into a three-goal lead thanks to a double from Logan McCarthy and a clinical volley from Archie Hill. However, opponents Stoke Hill hit back with three goals of their own for the match to end in an honourable 3-3 draw.

Game six saw Lympstone defeat Wembdon 3-0 before the team served up arguably their most determined show of the tournament as they defeated a strong Shammy outfit 1-0.

In this game Archie Hill was outstanding, as nothing got past him, and Zac Giles, who scored the all-important goal, also led from the front in terms of looking to regain possession at every opportunity.

Next up was a high-scoring encounter with Heavitree, one that the young Lympets won 5-3. One of the goals was a rocket from the boot of Finlay Edbrooke – his first ever goal for the team.

The final match of the pool saw Lympstone defeat Central 3-2 with one of the goals worthy of a higher stage! It was the one rifled home by Max Walkey from distance – stuck with such power it almost broke the net – one of a number of long-range shots he scored with throughout the tournament.

There followed a short wait whilst all the points were totted up and the final table produced and, much to their delight, the Lympstone side discovered they had finished second behind Crediton United and so would meet the Mid Devon side in the final!

The final began with Lympstone backed by a large following of yellow and blue adorned supporters!

In a bright start, they took an early lead with a goal from Fred Carlsen-Browne. Crediton hit back, but could get little change out of some tremendous disciplined and organised defending with young Zac Giles again at the heart of much the harrying and closing down of opposition player. Parity was eventually restored, but only by a long-range speculative cross-cum-shot that proved to be the only other goal scored and the tie moved into extra-time.

Lympstone dominated throughout extra-time, and came closest to winning it when a Carlsen-Browne effort cannoned back off the crossbar in the dying seconds.

With no winner at this stage the contest moved to a penalty shoot-out. Max Walkey stepped forward to thump the first spot kick home before the first Crediton penalty was ballooned over the bar! Carlsen-Browne then stepped up to drill his spot kick home and the second Crediton kick drew a superb save from Connock in the Lympstone goal to launch scenes of great celebration by Lympstone players and supporters alike.

Lympstone coach Ian Connock said: “I don’t think I have ever seen seven more happy boys. Credit to Crediton, who were worthy finalists and huge credit, and thanks, to the wonderful support afforded to the team. Thanks are also due to Exeter City for organising such a splendid tournament competition. Last, but certainly not least, congratulations to all of our Under-8 team who did themselves, and the club, proud in what was an unforgettable occasion at the City training ground.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal