Loo call plays part in Exmouth Town draw

PUBLISHED: 09:00 05 March 2015 | UPDATED: 09:00 05 March 2015


Exmouth Town are still seeking their first victory of 2015 after a 3-3 draw at St Blazey last Saturday, writes John Dibsdall.

With ninety minutes on the clock, and leading 3-1, you could be forgiven for thinking that Town would secure all three points, but seven minutes of added time (partly due to the referee having to take a comfort break midway through the second half) saw the home side rally strongly to score in the fourth and sixth added minutes.

Town settled well into the contest from the outset and deservedly went ahead after ten minutes.

Excellent build up play by Danny Clay and Barry McConnell led to James Ansell laying the ball off for Dan Boere to curl a left foot shot past a stranded ‘keeper.

As Town continued to play attractive football Ansell shot over, but St Blazey were also dangerous going forward led by Lewis Coombes who was with Town for a spell last season.

It was Coombes with a fierce drive that scored the equaliser on thirty-eight minutes. However, McConnell almost restored the Town lead before the break, but he pulled his left foot shot wide.

Town again dominated from the start of the second half and Ansell and Boere both had efforts saved before the lead was regained on fifty-seven minutes. Alex Greening crossed to the far post and McConnell headed the ball back across goal to give Boere a simple tap in and score his fiftieth goal for the club in the South West Peninsula League.

A minute later and Town doubled their lead as Ansell set up Greening to score with a strong left foot drive

The game had been played in continuous rain and the pitch became very heavy and the home side began to play more direct football that better suited the conditions and had chances to score in normal time.

Whilst you were always fearful that if one goal was pulled back they could get another as the clock ticked on you thought Town had done enough but as conditions worsened still and balls began to stick in the mud St Blazey took full advantage to score from close range.

As Town were unable to retain the ball from the restart a fine cross field pass dissected the defence and with a clear run on goal the opposing forward made no mistake and Town had to accept their fifth consecutive draw.

This Saturday Plymouth Parkway are the visitors to Southern Road in a match that was postponed from February 7. Kick-off is at 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal