Locall Football

PUBLISHED: 10:51 28 March 2008 | UPDATED: 08:57 10 June 2010

Budleigh Salterton 2, Galmpton United 0 Peninsula League East This was not a good day for stylish football. Strong cross winds did nothing for either team and made life for the goalkeepers a nightmare.

Budleigh Salterton 2, Galmpton United 0Peninsula League EastThis was not a good day for stylish football. Strong cross winds did nothing for either team and made life for the goalkeepers a nightmare.The Robins won't have minded the weather too much though as this win edged them closer to the divisional title.Eight more points from the seven games left will win it for the Robins - fewer will do if chasers Newton Abbot lose this Saturday.Salterton started as they meant to go on. After only a minute, Brett Wright shot wide. Budleigh forced the pace thereafter and, on 10 minutes, Williams shot over the bar from the right of goal. By the half-hour mark Galmpton were forcing their way more into the game and Robins' keeper Chris Wright was forced into a double save, punching a cross clear, then scrambling back to save a shot when his clearance fell to Galmpton. On 39 minutes Byrne put Salterton ahead, firing a cross from the right into the visitors' net.The second half saw much of the pressure in the same direction, but by this time the swirling wind seemed to make it even more difficult to play controlled football. On 55 minutes, Williams worked hard on the right touchline to beat a defender and keep the ball in play. His cross was fed further left by an attacker in front of the keeper and Hall fired it low and hard past the keeper.This pattern was repeated for most of rest of the game: Salterton on top but with occasional forays from Galmpton. Wright pulled off a couple of very good saves in the last 10 minutes, but the result was never in question. Westexe 0, Budleigh Salterton 3D&E Senior OnePlaying into a very strong head wind, Budleigh put in a solid first half.Scott Howarth was fed out wide byKirk Owen, his cross was just flicked on by Craig Higham and Simon Rose squared for Scott Thornhill to fire home after 10 minutes. Aaron Poulton and Rich Higham had solid games in midfield and the tempo was very good from the whole side. For the rest of the half Westexe battled hard to contain Simon Rose and David Evans, who proved too hot to handle.The second half started with the wind behind Budleigh and they camped inside their opponents' half for the rest of the game. Rose was released down the right and his fine pull back was struck hard and low into the bottom corner by Evans.Tony Pallett made it three when a close-range finish was deflected home with 20 minutes left. This was a fine team performance for Budleigh's 18th unbeaten league game in a row. Simon Rose was man of the match but many pushed him close. Young keeper Brad Evans' kicking was first class throughout. East Budleigh 1, Culm United 0D&E Senior OneThis was a fine performance by East Budleigh, who thoroughly deserved the win gained from Richard Thompson's 83rd minute goal.Budleigh began well with early chances falling to Thompson and Phil Thomas. With Shaun Slater and Luke Kelsall pulling the strings in the Budleigh midfield, the visitors only threatened sporadically.Budleigh lost Spencer West to injury midway through the first half. He was replaced by Darren Stubbings, who promptly went close from a Kelsall pass.There was still time for Stubbings and Lee Irvine to go close before half-time.Culm began the second half by producing their best opportunity, but Budleigh keeper Nathan Hadley was equal to the task.Budleigh gradually regained their superiority; Kelsall went close following good approach play between Colin Jeans and Thompson, before the latter had a goal disallowed. From a Jeans corner Dave Cockayne saw the Culm keeper fumble his shot and as Thompson bundled the ball in the referee awarded a free-kick.The breakthrough eventually arrived when substitute Hugo Demetre let go a shot the visiting keeper could only palm into the air for Thompson to nod home.Williams was unfortunate not to make it two when his free-kick hit a post.Slater and Kelsall shared the man of the match award for their dominating midfield display.This Saturday Budleigh will look for a similar outcome when they entertain Seaton (3pm). On Sunday they play host to Feniton in the Seaton Cup (2.30pm).Newton St Cyres Res 3, East Budleigh Res 2D&E Intermediate ThreeThis was a disappointing result for East Budleigh, who trailed 3-1 after a poor first-half display.The only highlight came when Jamie Drummond gave Budleigh the lead with a scorching 20-yard finish.Steve Wright joined the action for the visitors after the re-start and the game tuned on its head as Budleigh began to create chance after chance. Unfortunately it was only Andy Case who could find the back of the net with a sublime strike, leaving the home side to take all three points.Budleigh will look to bounce straight back when they visit Colyton on Saturday for their league fixture (3pm). Feniton 0, Otterton Res 2 D&E Intermediate FourOTTERTON'S good run of form continued with a fine performance. On a surprisingly good Fenny pitch, Otterton battled away up the slope in the first half and restricted the home side to long-range efforts which Peter Wannell, in the Otters' goal, coped with easily. Mark Tett and Leigh Adey had the best chances but went in at the break goalless. Otterton piled on the pressure in the second half, using the slope well.Peter McLean opened the score with a shot that deceived the keeper from 30 yards. Within 10 minutes Mark Tett tapped home to continue his good season with his fifteenth of the campaign. Dan Thomas and Jon Elstone also went close late on.Broadclyst 1, Brixington Utd U15s 2Juventus LeagueUnited knew they needed to be at their best to get anything from this tough away encounter. Both teams had to battle with the wind, which blew across the pitch with gusto just as they kicked off.United started brightly and things looked promising as they began to attack with vigour as well as defending with purpose.United took the lead in the tenth minute when a through ball was robbed from the last defender by Plowman, who finished into the bottom corner.United knew they would have to defend against top-of-the-table Broadclyst, who fought back with the wind in their favour.The defence, led by the central pairing of the outstanding Pratt and Lehuray, backed up by full-backs West and Farrington, stood firm.United's next goal came from great wing play from the outstanding Ody who linked with Plowman with slick passing before finishing from the edge of the box.In the second half United continued to snuff out the Broadclyst attack and looked to improve their lead but their finishing was not up to the usual standard.The only goal of the half was scored by Broadclyst with a superb, long-range shot which evaded everyone on its way into the top corner.A special mention must go to the Broadclyst supporters, many of whom congratulated the United boys on a fantastic performance, with mentions of how superb the defence was on the day.The league is now interestingly poised as United are five points behind Broadclyst with a game in hand and must hope another team show the tenacity to unlock a well-organised team.Brixington Utd U12s 1, Kentisbeare Colts 1Exeter Friendly League Blue DivisionAn exciting and enthralling game developed between the two sides with 100 per cent records in 2008. Both teams coped well with the strong wind, which gave neither an advantage, and tried to play passing football.Leading marksman Jack Howarth scored for United after six minutes, following good work by Reuben Neilan The Colts responded with strong running and probing passing but found the United defence in unyielding mood. With Reece Crozier outstanding at centre-back, and Matt Wells superbly shielding the defence, the Colts were resticted to long-range shots. Having defended magnificently, United could count themselves unlucky to concede a penalty two minutes before half time which the Colts' centre-forward scored.Brixington took the game to the Colts in the second half and created more chances but this time their defence showed great resilience as Charlie Cotton and then James Roberts came close to scoring. With the game now in injury time, Howarth again surged down the right eventually crossing to Roberts who volleyed goal-bound, only to see a defender handle the ball. Despite crossing the line for a goal, the referee had already blown for the penalty. United's bad luck was compounded when Cotton saw his penalty well saved.On another day neither penalty might have been given and the United boys would probably have been celebrating a win. With five games left in the season, United find themselves four points clear at the top of the table. United: Jake Allars, Theo Barnes, Charlie Cotton, Reece Crozier, Owen Flinn, Connor Gosling, Jack Howarth, Riordan Deehan Jackson, George Jarmin, Luke Lamy, Alex Manning, Reuben Neilan, James Roberts, Kieron Saxton, Matt Wells, Adam Wheatley.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal