Local Football

PUBLISHED: 15:57 21 February 2008 | UPDATED: 08:50 10 June 2010

P3193-08-08SH Action from Exmouth United Under 16's (stripes) clash with Heavitree at Withycombe Common on Saturday morning.
Picture by SIMON HORN.

P3193-08-08SH Action from Exmouth United Under 16's (stripes) clash with Heavitree at Withycombe Common on Saturday morning. Picture by SIMON HORN.

Copyright Archant Ltd

East Budleigh Res 2, Met Office 2 D&E Intermediate Three THIS was Budleigh's fourth consecutive league draw and they will regard it as two points dropped following a dismal display. Simon Pearce rescued a share of the spoils with a last-minute penalty.

East Budleigh Res 2, Met Office 2D&E Intermediate ThreeTHIS was Budleigh's fourth consecutive league draw and they will regard it as two points dropped following a dismal display.Simon Pearce rescued a share of the spoils with a last-minute penalty after a Matt Chown shot struck a hand.After a sluggish start, Budleigh gradually found their feet and in the 18th minute Matt Chown hit the bar after picking up a pass from brother Carl.Five minutes later, Steve Davey latched on to a Pearce free-kick squared for Adam Jones, who saw the visiting keeper make a smart save.From the resultant Pearce corner, Kevin Hawthorne nodded the ball home to give Budleigh the lead.Budleigh then took their foot off the pedal and were given a warning when the visitors broke through, only to miss the target.A minute from the interval Budleigh stopped, thinking a free-kick would be given, but the Weathermen played on and duly equalised.Despite having a lot of second-half possession, the cutting edge wasn't there. Budleigh went closest when Jamie Drummond headed down an Adam Jones throw for Matt Chown, who shot marginally wide.Disaster struck for Budleigh when a clearance cannoned in off keeper Darren Fardoe to give the visitors a surprise lead.As Budleigh pushed forward they were given a last-gasp lifeline to save their blushes.In a poor display, Darren Dawes, Hawthorne and Drummond all worked hard.Exmouth Amateurs U13 Girls 6,Newton 66 Jets 3Devon Girls' LeagueExmouth got back to league action after their cup exploits of the last few weeks, but started sluggishly.Jets opened the scoring when Exmouth's defence failed to clear the ball leaving stand-in keeper Katie Burnett with no chance.Exmouth quickly drew level. Marika Ghiglia's shot was well saved, but the rebound fell to Hayley Worsley, who coolly slotted home.Driven on by Leah Rawlings from midfield, Exmouth took the lead. Rawlings won a crunching tackle in midfield and fed a great ball through to Ghiglia, whose pace took her clear of the defence and she finished neatly.More slack defending from Exmouth allowed Jets to draw level when their striker beat two players then squeezed the shot in from an impossible angle.Exmouth regained the lead just before half-time. Sammy Griffiths played the ball wide to Worsley, her cross was met by Ghiglia whose shot was saved but Emma Cooper hit home the rebound.After a few harsh words from the manager at half-time, Exmouth more than matched their opponents for effort and commitment and dominated the early part of the second half.Slick passing allowed Lara Spires to finish in style from a Ghiglia pass.Spires then added her second and Exmouth's best goal after Natalie Volpini, Ghiglia and Cooper were all involved in the build- up.Jets pulled a goal back from a free-kick that was struck home from the edge of the box.Exmouth scored the last goal of the game when Ghiglia chased a clearance from the back and held off two defenders before drilling the ball home.This was not Exmouth's best performance of the season, but once they matched their opponents' effort and commitment they showed they have the quality to challenge for honours this year.Exmouth Amateurs U12 Girls 5, Ottery Firegirls 0EMILY Steer hit a hat-trick as Ammies returned to league action with a win.The girls have been out of league action for a fortnight due to cup commitments, during which time they have booked a semi-final clash with Kingskerswell.The girls attacked straight from the off and this resulted in a well-worked goal, from Mamfy Sharpe.More pressure followed with the game being played entirely in the Ottery half.Megan Marks-Chadwick slotted home after 10 minutes, following good team play.Exmouth now had their tails up and soon it was 3-0 thanks to a great solo effort from Steer, who ran from her own half and finished neatly.Steer scored just before half time to make it 4-0.Ottery came out determined in the second half, pushing forward and forcing some good saves from Beth Acca.Exmouth completed the scoring close on full time, when Steer completed her hat-trick.Feniton Hornets U10s 2, Brixington Blues 9BLUES opened the scoring with Josh Mingo side-footing home from close range from a Harry Moxey cross.Seconds after the restart, Moxey smashed a 20-yard free-kick into the net.Josh Mingo got his second with a near-post flick from a corner, then completed his hat-trick by converting George Catcher's through ball for a 4-0 half time lead. In the second half captain Glen Davison poked home Ed Doble's parried shot, then Sam Smith got a somewhat fortuitous goal with a looping cross that evaded everyone and dipped under the bar. Even keeper Ben Berkhout got in on the act - ghosting in to stab home a Cameron Deighton corner. Mingo notched his fourth with a drilled shot high into the net after good work from Smith and Deighton.Davison completed Blues' scoring with a headed goal.Feniton scored twice late on: once from a breakaway then from the penalty spot.Feniton Wasps 0, Brixington Blues 13BLUES began with two goals in the opening minute.The first was a Deighton drive at the near post, the second an unfortunate own goal after a defender looped a Moxey long throw into his own net. Mingo and Deighton exchanged passes before Deighton fired home his second.By the fifth minute Deighton had a hat-trick after good work from Smith and Davison. Deighton then turned provider to set up Mingo for his first of the game.Smith followed up to prod home Ed Doble's parried shot.Ewan Anderson finished the half off, guiding the ball home from close range from a corner to make it 7-0 to Blues at the interval. Persistence from Doble saw Mingo score his second almost straight from the restart. Cameron glanced home Moxey's long throw-in for his fourth.Doble finally got in on the goalscoring, firing a low drive across the keeper after a mazy run from deep. He then crossed for Mingo to complete his second hat-trick of the morning .Davison scored with a near post drive and, finally, George Catcher completed the rout by rounding the keeper before rolling the ball home.Beer Albion 2, Budleigh Salterton 2Beer won 9-8 on penaltiesSeaton Cup, quarter-finalAS cup games go this had everything. One of the Budleigh players was hit by a car on the way to the game and could not start due to whiplash.After a quick reshuffle, Budleigh started well and took an early lead when Steve Tweedie headed home a fine Gareth Wicks free-kick.Beer equalised 10 minutes before the break when Kirk Owen scored an unlucky own goal. Beer took the lead early in the second half. Despite pressing hard, Budleigh had to wait until the 85th minute before the referee awarded a penalty when Rich Higham was caught. Scott Thornhill fired home, but the eagle-eyed ref ordered a retake and Thornhill powered it into the top corner again. Extra time came and Budleigh looked the more likely to win. Wicks hit the post and Man of the Match Simon Rose netted the rebound, but was ruled offside. So to the dreaded penalties and Thornhill, Wicks, Rose and Nield all scored, leaving Craig Higham to win it after Beer missed their second kick. The keeper saved well. Sudden death followed and Wright, Rich Higham, B Evans and Peter White all scored to make it 8-all. Sadly the tenth penalty was missed so Beer went through.Great credit must go to all the Budleigh players for a quality performance from one to 11.Feniton Hornets U10s 1, Brixington United U10s 8UNITED fought back from conceding a soft early goal to produce a sparkling performance.Thomas Sicklemore started the fightback, turning in two close-range efforts to give United a half-time lead.Excellent defending by George Mears and Josh Phillips allowed United to attack with confidence in the second half.Ryan Ellis led the way with a hat-trick, including a fine individual goal.Sam Skinner scored two, one a cheeky lob over the keeper, and a Lewis Miller thunderbolt completed United's scoring.Feniton Wasps U10s 1, Brixington United U10s 7FOR the second game running, United fought back from a goal down to win comfortably.An own-goal from a United corner started their recovery.Ellis gave them the lead with a fine shot and Keenan Paver and Sicklemore scored further first-half goals to put United in command.Skinner slotted home United's fifth goal. Paver added his second with a great finish and Miller completed the scoring, turning in an Ellis free-kick.Phillips and George Mears defended well to keep Wasps quiet.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal