Hughes on the mark late on for another Woods win

PUBLISHED: 10:19 03 November 2010




WOODBURY travelled to Sidford for their latest Division Five outing, writes Mark Reid.

WOODBURY travelled to Sidford for their latest Division Five outing, writes Mark Reid.

The villagers’ team plans were thrown into chaos in the warm-up, when the influential Jonny Killick pulled up with groin problems.

Three minutes in and the first chance was created for the Woods when Alex Hughes released Pitt, who fired into the side netting. Hughes was central to all the Woods attacking intent and the Sidford glovesman did well to beat out one stinging shot.

Such was the early control of Woodbury, that it was not until 25 minutes that the home side first threatened with a shot that was always rising.

Five minutes later and Woods were deservedly ahead when the impressive Hughes exchanged passes with Pitt before scoring from close range. Skipper Chris Govier nearly doubled the lead within a minute, his 30-yard shot flying fractionally over the bar.

Just before the break, the veteran Paul Doran headed off the line to keep the visitors ahead and, but for a stunning save by the Sidford keeper, the Woods would have been two up at the break, but Govier’s shot, from the edge of the area, was somehow tipped over by the home glovesman.

Shortly after the re-start, Woodbury keeper Sam Pike was forced to make a fine save, but, moments later, he was beaten and the game was tied at 1-1.

Pitt, Hughes and Will Bennett, all then went mighty close to restoring the Wood lead.

In the 60th minute, the crossbar denied Woods when Brett Gloyn met Doran’s precise free-kick, only for his header to cannon back into play off the bar. Matt Tidmarsh was introduced for Liam Harris and, with 20 minutes remaining, young Dan Godfrey took over from Dave Vickery.

In the 81st minute, Woodbury thought they had regained the lead, but a linesman’s flag ruled out a Pitt effort. The hosts then went close, but it was the Woods who struck the winner when a long throw from Govier was nodded home by Hughes. Thereafter, the visitors closed the door on their hosts and saw the game out for a 2-1 success.

Govier was named Man of the Match and special mention should also be made of the contributions of Paul Doran and Charlie Page in the Woods defence.

Next up for Woodbury is Saturday’s home Devon Intermediate Cup tie against Cheriton Fitzpaine (2pm).

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists