Exmouth Town Reserves lift Football Express Cup

PUBLISHED: 16:42 09 May 2012

© Royalty-Free/Corbis

© Royalty-Free/Corbis

© Corbis. All Rights Reserved.

Exmouth Town Reserves 3, Cheriton Fitzpaine 2

Exmouth Town Reserves played out their last match of this season, the Football Express cup final and came away with the silverware after a 3-2 victory at Topshams Coronation Fields.

Town traveled the short journey to face a Cheriton Fitzpaine side who have been in fine form recently and are pushing for promotion from Division 6.

Exmouth were eager in the opening 15 minutes to get the get the game won, shots from Gareth Davies, Leigh Clarke and Steven Cadywould rained in on the Cheriton goal as Town played the game on the front foot.

However, a break into the exmouth half gave the Cheriton striker a one on one against town keeper Rob Gluchowski who did well to hold up the player but he recovered and slotted home from a tight angle.

This galvanised the Cheriton side who went on to enjoy possession of the ball, while the Exmouth side had to clear their heads and work to get back in the game they were indebted to their ‘keeper for a fine save from a free kick

As the half came to a close Exmouth began to see more of the ball and more importantly keep it on the ground, rather than playing to the strengths of the Cheriton defence.

As a result of this a clever one two between Clarke and man of the match Josh Kirby gave him a sight of goal and he calmly passed it past the keeper.

The second half started evenly again as both sides looked to gain an advantage.

The Exmouth midfield was not functioning as fluently as usual so Davies was moved inside with Achref Ghnami moving forward to right midfield and substitute Pete Fletcher coming on at right back.

It was the subs hard running and excellent distribution that led to leading scorer Clarke chesting down a fine pass and lashing home Towns second goal.

This took the wind out of Cheritons sails and they never recovered, Town were now in control and the third goal was inevitable as the pressure told.

After good work on the left, reformed striker Steven Cadywould was left with a simple header from close range to make it 3-1.

Further substitutions of Ian Boyd and young Brandon Perry came on to cause problems for the tiring Cheriton side, but mid devon team had the last word as they scrambled a goal with the last kick of the game.

It was during this scramble that the Town left back Simon Grigg unfortunately suffered a bad break of his wrist and had to go to hospital following the game. Not really much reward for the excellent season Griggy has put in for us.

In two seasons this Exmouth side has scored over 250 goals, won two promotions and four pieces of silverware. They have proven themselves to be a side worthy of winning compliments as well as trophies.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists