Exmouth Town net superb results in league and cup

PUBLISHED: 13:45 18 September 2018

Kevin Hill at Exmouth Town FC. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0902. Picture: Terry Ife

Kevin Hill at Exmouth Town FC. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0902. Picture: Terry Ife


Two cracking results for Exmouth Town last week as they overcame Saltash United in the SWPL on Wednesday night and Bridgwater Town in the FA Vase on Saturday, writes John Dibsdall.

Victory over Bridgwater has seen Town earn a place in the First Round proper of the competition where they have been drawn at home to Elburton Villa.

In front of another healthy crowd at Southern Road, Town took the lead on 16 minutes with the first real attack from either side.

A strong header from Dave Rowe around the halfway line saw defender and goalkeeper hesitate, allowing Ace High to take full advantage and fire the ball home.

As you would expect, from a side sitting proudly at the top of the Western League, Bridgwater came more into the game without causing any real problems to a Town defence that were solid throughout the match.

The only moment of anxiety occurred three minutes into the second half. With Town appealing in vain for offside, the forward was in the clear, but Robbie Powell stood tall and eventually made the save with his legs.

Eight minutes later High showed the supreme confidence he has in his play when he raced straight through the heart of the defence and smashed in an unstoppable shot to double the lead and score his twelfth goal in nine games this season.

Bridgwater were by now a well beaten side and Nathan Cooper added the third from the penalty spot after he had been brought down to seal a very impressive display.

Last midweek, Saltash arrived at Southern Road as one of only two unbeaten sides in the SWPL Premier Division, but found themselves a goal down after only fifty seconds!

A free-kick from Cooper and High rose highest to loop a header over the stranded ‘keeper. The visitors enjoyed the majority of possession, but were unable to create any chance that would worry the defence until the 49th minute.

With Town feeling they should have been awarded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area the referee waved away their protests and Saltash broke quickly and a pinpoint cross was headed home.

Six minutes later a dangerous tackle was deemed worthy of a straight red card and Kieran Willdig’s resulting free-kick was headed down by High for Jimmy Hinds, on the receiving end of the tackle, to sweep the ball into the net.

As the visitors pushed forward holes began to appear in their defence and Town took full advantage.

Cooper had a shot saved, but Karl Rickard was on hand to fire in the rebound on 70 minutes and, five minutes later, a superb flowing move ended with Aarron Denny opening his account for the season.

Next up for Town are two more tough games. On Saturday (September 22) they travel to Elmore in the SWPL League Cup and on Tuesday (September 25) they head to Coach Road, Newton Abbot to take on a Plymouth Argyle side that went to the top of the League with victory last Friday night. Which Argyle side they will face is anybody’s guess. With no midweek fixture for their First Team it would not be a surprise to see a number of the first team squad feature.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists