Exmouth Town defeat unbeaten Saltash United in midweek game

PUBLISHED: 13:25 13 September 2018

Exmouth Town at home to Newquay. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0883. Picture: Terry Ife

Exmouth Town at home to Newquay. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0883. Picture: Terry Ife


Exmouth Town were 4-1 winners when they entertained Saltash United in a midweek Southern SWPL Premier Division game, writes John Dibsdall.

Exmouth Town at home to Newquay. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0893. Picture: Terry IfeExmouth Town at home to Newquay. Ref exsp 37 18TI 0893. Picture: Terry Ife

What makes the result al the more impressive was that the Cornish side travelled to East Devon still to suffer defeat in league and cup so far this season.

Town went into this match with just one change from the side that started against Newquay with Dave Rowe continuing in place of Steve Avery who was able to start on the bench.

With a few still in the clubhouse, Town again made a fast start and were ahead with just 50 seconds on the clock.

A Nathan Cooper free-kick was met by Ace High to outjump the defence and send a looping header into the net with the ‘keeper stranded.

As Town maintained the pressure Jimmy Hinds had a shot narrowly clear the crossbar, Cooper hit a free kick just past the post and Aarron Denny hit a dangerous cross that evaded everyone.

Saltash were showing signs of the fine footballing side they are but were unable to break down an Exmouth defence where the handling of crosses by Robbie Powell was impeccable.

They did however, turn their possession into an equaliser in the forty ninth minute.

With Town appealing for a free-kick on the edge of the Saltash area that was not given they broke quickly and a measured cross was headed home.

The turning point of the game came on 55 minutes when a dangerous tackle was deemed worthy of a straight red card and from the ensuing free kick Town were ahead.

Keiran Willdigs floated a ball into the area, High headed down and Jimmy Hinds, who was on the receiving end of the tackle was able to sweep the ball home.

The third goal arrived on 70 minutes when a Cooper shot was saved, but Karl Rickard was on hand to chip the stranded custodian.

As Saltash pushed forward gaps were appearing at the back and Town took full advantage to make the game safe on seventy five minutes.

A fine flowing move that started in their own half ended with Denny scoring his first goal of the season as Town inflicted the first league defeat of the season on their opponents.

The game was watched by a another terrific turnout with 170 at Southern Road and there will no doubt be many more at Town on Saturday when the side entertain Bridgwater Town in an FA Vase tie (3pm).

Town team: Powell, Merritt, Willdigs, Rowe, Lever, Dirrane, Denny, Hinds, High (Shipton), Cooper, Rickard (Withers).

SWPL Premier Division table after the midweek games

P W D L F A Pts

Tavistock 7 6 1 0 22 6 19

Falmouth Town 8 6 0 2 23 13 18

Plymouth Argyle 9 5 2 2 26 10 17

Saltash United 8 5 2 1 20 12 17

St Austell 8 5 2 1 22 16 17

Exmouth Town 7 5 1 1 19 4 16

Bodmin Town 6 5 0 1 23 10 15

Millbrook 9 4 1 4 17 18 13

Camelford 8 4 0 4 20 20 12

Godolphin Atlantic 8 3 3 2 16 17 12

Launceston 6 2 1 3 14 15 7

Helston Athletic 7 2 1 4 9 13 7

Torpoint Athletic 8 2 1 5 11 22 7

Cullompton Rangers 6 2 0 4 7 14 6

Elburton Villa 7 2 0 5 10 19 6

Newquay 7 2 0 5 5 14 6

Ivybridge Town 9 1 2 6 14 23 5

Callington Town 5 1 0 4 6 14 3

Sticker 9 0 1 8 7 31 1

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal