Exmouth Town in seventh heaven on Duchy visit

PUBLISHED: 10:11 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:11 28 November 2013


Liskeard Athletic 3, Exmouth Town 7

Town recorded their highest away win in the SWP League when they returned from a visit to Cornwall with a resounding 7-3 victory, writes John Dibsdall.

For the neutral this would have been a thoroughly entertaining game as the hosts belied their lowly position with a creditable performance but in the end the strength, determination and quality of Town were just too much for a young and inexperienced side.

As often happens when you’re struggling the opening goal on twelve minutes was full of controversy but went in Town’s favour. Awarded a free kick on the edge of the box the referee seemed to indicate to the Liskeard defence and the ‘keeper in particular that the kick would be taken ‘on the whistle’. As the ‘keeper was lining up the wall on his near post Lloyd Gardner calmly ‘passed’ the ball into the unguarded net and the goal was allowed to stand - no whistle was heard!

In a game where neither defence excelled themselves as defensive units Liskeard equalised on thirty minutes. Grant Fisher was off his line when a clearance landed at the feet of an opponent who lobbed the ball into an empty goal. Back came Town and Kevin Hill had one effort cleared off the line but on thirty five minutes he stooped to head home an Andrew Thomson free kick. Five minutes later and James Ansell made it three as he reacted quickest when the home defence failed to clear a Thomson corner. Any thoughts that Town would go into the break with a two goal cushion were dispelled a minute later as Town failed to deal with a cross that was turned in at the far post.

The second half was virtually one-way traffic. Ansell had an effort cleared off the line before Alex Greening crossed for Michael Nardiello to powerfully head home on fifty five minutes. After Thomson had had a shot saved he rifled home Town’s fifth and Karl Rickard arguably scored the pick of Town’s goal when he drifted pass two defenders and slammed the ball into the top corner. In a rare attack the home side added a third but back came Town and a Jamie Moore drive from eighteen yards with his left foot sealed the victory.

The win has seen Town climb to second in the table as Bodmin were held to a goalless draw by Saltash. This Saturday Town welcome Ivybridge to Southern Road (3pm).

Our visitors are just a point behind Town in the table having won five times on the road with just one defeat to table toppers Launceston.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal