Exmouth Town all set for hectic spell of end-of-season matches

PUBLISHED: 12:14 26 April 2018

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife


Five games in ten days will bring an end to what has been a long, arduous and frustrating South West Peninsula League (SWPL) Premier Division season for Exmouth Town, writes John Dibsdall.

They are away on Saturday (April 28) at Torpoint Athletic, travel to Cullompton Rangers on Monday evening and then host Helston Athletic on Wednesday evening (kick-off 7.45pm) before making the trip to St Austell on the first Saturday of May and they then complete the season with a home game against Newquay-based Godolphin Atlantic on the May bank holiday Monday, kicking-off at 2pm.

Whilst they were without a game last weekend, they slumped to their ninth consecutive defeat since the turn of the year when they went down 4-1 to Camelford last Wednesday evening.

Martin Rice returned in goal and had it not been for his heroics in the second half the defeat could have been even more embarrassing. Town were second best in all facets of the game with a young Camelford side showing no signs of tiredness from playing twice in the previous four days.

Rice made his first important save after 12 minutes and it was no surprise when the visitors went ahead on 27 minutes; Sam Schaefli unlucky to divert a cross into his own net.

The Cornish side doubled their lead six minutes later when a lone attacker held off two token challenges to drive the ball past Rice. Town did respond and Dean Billingsly fired over and after a thunderous shot from Dave Rowe was blocked Ace High saw the ‘keeper make an excellent save from his effort from the rebound which was turned behind for a corner.

Town continued to press at the start of the second half and were rewarded when Si Withers glanced a header into the far corner for his first goal in the SWPL Premier Division.

Despite Withers and Ben Steer making some strong runs, Town were unable to find the quality needed in the final third and as they pushed for an equaliser gaps appeared at the back and Rice made several one-on-one saves with his legs, but was powerless as Camelford added two further goals in the final five minutes to run out worthy winners.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal