Budleigh Salterton Reserves beaten at home by high-flying Sidbury United

PUBLISHED: 09:58 04 December 2014

Football generic picture

Football generic picture


By welcoming Sidbury United to Greenway Lane for the first time in a Premier Division match, Budleigh Salterton reserves were back in action on Saturday following a break the previous weekend, writes SpursTom.

This was the Robins 14th league outing, much more than any of their rivals I the top flight of the Fresha League.

Like the majority of games this season it was the opposition who began brightly with the goal keeper being tested as early as the second minute. Having survived this scare, there were some encouraging signs, the defence was copping well whilst chances were created at the other end.

The opening goal came about the half hour mark whilst promising young defender Max Goodesmith was off the field having treatment after being injured in a tackle.

The ensuring free-kick was cleared and, to add insult to injury, the visitors opened the scoring when the long up-field punt was collected and rifled into the Robins net!

The Robins had three goal bound shots blocked in succession within the penalty area, but could have gone further behind themselves before the break and so went in just a single goal in arrears.

Goodesmith, struggling from the first half injury, was replaced immediately after the interval. Sidbury pressed forward time and time again.

However, Ross James, having an inspirational match, somehow managed to perform a goal-line clearance with his head whilst lying on the ground conceding one of several corners!

A debatable 65th minute penalty was awarded, justice seemed to be done with Man of the Match Dean Rawlings saving the spot kick, but the rebound was converted. A third goal late on sealed the Robins’ fate.

The home side can consider this a good shift all-round for while they succumbed to another defeat they put up a great fight.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists