Budleigh Salterton net Morrison Bell Cup final berth after five-star show at Ottery

PUBLISHED: 16:06 22 May 2018 | UPDATED: 16:06 22 May 2018

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife


Budleigh Salterton scored five goals in 11 second-half minutes as they defeated Macron Devon and Exeter League Premier Division Upottery 5-1 in the Morrison Bell Cup semi-final on Monday evening at Ottery St Mary, writes Alan Beer.

It was a contest full of drama at both ends of the pitch and the fact that the first half remained without a goal was down to the frame of the Upottery goal and a quite stunning fingertip save by Budleigh glovesman Alan Doble!

Just two minutes had been played when the first chance of the game was fashioned with Karl Riddell playing a terrific through-ball in for Jordan Harris to run on to and, when the Robins’ leading scorer rounded the Upottery goalkeeper, he fired a shot back across goal, but no one could apply a finishing touch.

Upottery then created a great opportunity in the 11th minute when Ollie Rice found time and space to hit a ‘thunderbolt’ from 20 yards that was arrowing its way into the top corner before being diverted up and over the bar by a superb save from Doble.

In the 20th minute, some enterprising play from Aaron Doble set up Harris to drill a shot that cannoned back off the upright, but seven minutes later, as the game swung from end-to-end, a long ball into the Budleigh area was headed just wide by Max McKewan.

The frame of the goal was struck once more in the closing stages of the first half, when a Kyle Bassett effort was kept out by the depth of the crossbar!

The goals that were the only thing missing from an excellent first 45 minutes arrived in a flurry early in the second half.

In the 54th minute a long clearance from player-boss Kevin Hill was headed on by Harris to James Sharkey, who then drilled it home.

A minute later Riddell played in Harris, who made no mistake and a two goal lead was added to five minutes later when Harris turned provider to cross for Bassett to head home. Aaron Denny created the chance for the fourth when his mazy run was ended with him being felled in the area and he got up to tuck the spot kick away and a fifth came on 65 minutes courtesy of a second for Bassett. With the game done, in terms of the result, Budleigh rang the changes and introduced Luke Iddon, Adam Wilkinson and Graham Winteridge from the bench and the latter was inches away from netting a sixth when his late shot crashed against the frame of the goal!

Battling Upottery scored a late consolation with McKewan the scorer, but Budleigh were comfortable winners and they will meet another South West Peninsula League Eastern Division side, Sidmouth Town, back at the home of Ottery St Mary next Tuesday (May 29) with kick-off being 7pm.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists