Budleigh get hands on title

PUBLISHED: 18:34 24 April 2008 | UPDATED: 09:00 10 June 2010

Budleigh Salterton 7, Buckfastleigh Rangers 0 Peninsula League East: HAVING secured the Division One (East) title in midweek at Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton met a Buckfastleigh side that had just lost its management team and arrived with what appeared to be a very depleted squad

Budleigh Salterton 7, Buckfastleigh Rangers 0 Peninsula League East: HAVING secured the Division One (East) title in midweek at Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton met a Buckfastleigh side that had just lost its management team and arrived with what appeared to be a very depleted squad.

It took Budleigh 12 minutes to find an opening with a move started and finished by Danny Hall, who headed home an Alvin Pollard cross.

Stuart Francis set up Danny Williams to make it 2-0 on the half-hour mark. Hall added the third just before half time.

Five minutes into the second period visiting keeper Tim Mason spilled a cross and Brett Wright slotted in for 4-0. A few minutes later, Hall completed his hat-trick.

Substitute Gareth Wicks struck a good corner that fell for Neil Saunders to head in at the a near-post.

Rangers' defence again misjudged a cross, allowing Hall to add his fourth of the game with an easy tap in.

The visitors refused to give up and on 86 minutes Rob Wooton saw his close range header tipped over the bar by Chris Wright, to make it 18 clean sheets so far this season.

l The Robins secured the East Division title last Wednesday evening when a Brett Wright goal earned them a 1-0 win over Exmouth Town.

Meanwhile, Heavitree Harriers have failed in their bid to win ground grading status to support an application to join the Peninsula League next season.

Westexe 1,

East Budleigh 2

D&E Senior One

Following their 3-1 success against Tiverton side Westexe earlier in the week, East Budleigh completed a league double with an excellent display.

After just 10 minutes, as both sides felt their way in the game, Budleigh were forced to replace the injured Shaun Slater with Spencer West

The home side had a couple of good chances to open the scoring, but Budleigh keeper Nathan Hadley was equal to both with top-drawer saves.

Dave Cockayne went closest for the visitors when his far-post effort was tipped over after Richard Thompson flicked on a Martin Williams free-kick.

After the interval Budleigh took a grip on proceedings. Thompson was twice fouled inside the box, but the referee was unwilling to point to the spot so Budleigh pulled out a fine move to take the lead.

Dave Radford, Thompson and Williams were all involved as Lee Irvine stole in to find the back of the net.

Budleigh's back four of Williams, Phil Page, Phil Thomas and Colin Jeans were mopping up well as Budleigh went in search of a second with Luke Kelsall, Cockayne and Irvine all going close.

The pressure eventually told and Kelsall beat his man before firing a left-foot finish inside the near post to deservedly made it 2-0 ten minutes from time.

There was still time for veteran Dave Mills to make a cameo appearance as Budleigh ran out comfortable winners.

A joint Man of the Match award went to Thompson and Irvine.

East Budleigh Res 0,

Silverton 3

D&E Intermediate Three

East Budleigh Reserves turned in a lacklustre performance in the driving rain as the visitors eased to victory.

Silverton were in the ascendency early on. Matt Jones and Kevin Hawthorne made good blocks before the visitors carved Budleigh open to take the lead.

Budleigh weren't without their share of the play; Zack Pearce saw his shot charged down and, from a Steve Davey corner, Jamie Drummond went close.

Silverton scored a killer second after the re-start.

At the other end, Davey hit the side netting, whilst Simon Pearce was causing hassle in the visiting defence with his corner kicks.

The closest Budleigh came was from Drummond, who struck the upright when set up by Steve Wright.

Budleigh keeper James Bradbury made another fine save, but a third goal arrived while Matt Jones was off the field receiving treatment.

Davey was the pick for Budleigh, who entertain Priory on Saturday, before travelling to Sidmouth on Sunday in the Carlisle Cup semi-final.

Seaton 1,

Budleigh Salterton Res 2

D&E Senior One

Budleigh travelled to Seaton knowing a point would see them promoted and three would put them nearer the title.

Facing a hostile crowd, the home side settled first and put Budleigh under pressure for the opening quarter of an hour.

Seaton then had a goal cancelled out for offside. Budleigh broke only for David Evans to fire at the keeper.

From the next attack Craig Higham burst through and his sweet shot deflected in to give Budleigh the lead.

Higham then broke clear again down the left and crossed for Evans to fire into the top-right corner.

In the second half, Budleigh defended brilliantly and soaked up lots of pressure with Man of the Match Tony Pallett outstanding. Rich Higham and Tim Bradshaw were also solid.

Seaton did score with 19 minutes left, but Budleigh held out and twice nearly scored a third when Scott Howarth headed over.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal