Ammies in seventh heaven

PUBLISHED: 15:03 10 April 2008 | UPDATED: 08:58 10 June 2010

Budleigh 2nds (red) Vs Elmore 2nds (Green).
Pic by Alex Walton

P0087-15-08AW Budleigh 2nds (red) Vs Elmore 2nds (Green). Pic by Alex Walton

Copyright Archant Ltd

West Exe U11 Girls 0, Exmouth Amateurs 7 DGFL Cup semi-final, second leg (Exmouth Amateurs won 13-4) Exmouth turned up at West Exe on this bitingly cold but sunny afternoon and put in a red-hot performance, probably their best of the season, to snuff out

West Exe U11 Girls 0,Exmouth Amateurs 7DGFL Cup semi-final, second leg (Exmouth Amateurs won 13-4)Exmouth turned up at West Exe on this bitingly cold but sunny afternoon and put in a red-hot performance, probably their best of the season, to snuff out the challenge of a buoyant West Exe side.West Exe opened the game at great pace and threw themselves at Exmouth, putting the visitors on the back foot and creating two decent chances in the first eight minutes.Then, as the clock hit 10 minutes, Ammies broke out of defence, with Keira Hill feeding Danielle Wilks in midfield. Wilks released Ana Holmes, who sped down the right, cut into the box and flashed a left-foot shot into the top corner.Wilks herself then chased what seemed a lost-cause pass and poked the ball past the stranded West Exe keeper to give Exmouth a two-goal advantage.From then on Ammies took total control of the half, winning every challenge and every 50-50 ball.Kelly Ball, Ellie Clook and Louise Perry provided an endless supply of good possession to the twin strike force, who tormented the West Exe defence for the remainder of the half.Wilks added her second with a thumping effort from the edge of the box.An early strike into the top corner from Ellie Clook, her first for the club in over two years, put Exmouth beyond reach.West Exe heads never dropped though and it is a credit to them that they continued to play football the way it should be played.Ammies were simply too strong, too quick thinking and too pacy for them in the second period.Hill slotted home after good work down the left by Meredith Deighton.Five minutes from time, a good attack from West Exe was broken up by full-back Neave Hayter, who set Holmes away to fire her second and Exmouth's sixth.The scoring was wrapped up with a tap-in by Hill after a goalmouth scramble.A good West Exe side suffered a 7-0 defeat but they can console themselves with the knowledge that they met a side who produced the goods individually and collectively for almost 40 minutes.Brixington Blues U12s 4, Pinhoe 0Exeter Friendly LeagueBlues powered way past the stiffest of opposition to reach the semi-finals of the cup.In a game reminiscent of their league match against Pinhoe in January, the visitors started the livelier of the two teams, forcing Blues to play deep in their own half for the first 15 minutes of the game.Harry Douglas, Jordan Bennington and Ryan Bunn made saving tackles to deny Pinhoe an opening goal. Having withstood sustained pressure, Blues' midfield began to ease forward and the game slowly turned. Josh Wadham and Peter Wright both went close before Seb Jones powered home a measured strike just before half time. The second half started with Pinhoe closing down and recycling possession well, again penning the Blues back and drawing sound defensive play from Jack Gilhooly and Thomas Evans.Committed to attack, and looking for an equaliser, Pinhoe started to leave gaps in midfield which the Blues exploited on the breakaway. Blues' patience under pressure was rewarded when Jason Pope freed up Tim Dunn, who cut inside from the left-wing to hit home the second. Pinhoe looked to get back into contention and Connor Gilby was called upon to make a couple of finely timed runs to save and gather in. At the other end the Blues always looked the more likely team to score. Following a nicely weighted through ball from Denny, Jordan Clapp held up the ball just outside the penalty area, before releasing to Cubby Tinsley, who side-stepped the left-back to make it 3-0.Right on the final whistle, Blues made it 4-0 when Wadham laid the ball off to Clapp to score.Blues now face Buckland in a semi-final clash. The Blues' run of 17 league wins in a row has made them firm favourites to lift the Friendly League crown, but coach Denny's team is strongly motivated by the prospect of a unique season double - the cup and the league.Brixington Blues U15s 3,Brixington United 0Juventus League CupA nerve-wracking semi final with their rival Brixington team ended with a well deserved victory that put Blues into their second cup final in three years.The game started cagily, as one would expect with so much at stake, with few openings at either end.The first real action came 10 minutes into the game when a direct free-kick brought a good save from United's keeper.The resulting corner from Jake Preece curled beautifully into the net, giving Blues a 1-0 lead.United came back and threatened to equalise. Only a last-minute interception after a goalmouth scramble kept Blues ahead.The score stayed the same until half time and things were getting a little tense as it looked that one goal would not be enough.Early in the second half, a corner from Jake Preece was spilled by the keeper and the ball fell to Ben Walker who netted goal number two. Blues' passing game was very good and they battled well for each ball. It wasn't long before their persistence paid off. Liam West received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and used his strength to hold off two defenders before beating the keeper to make it 3-0.United refused to lie down and kept battling to the end. A certain goal was stopped by a brilliant finger-tip save by Blues' keeper Sprake and they also hit the bar with another shot.In the end Blues held on for victory. Unfortunately for United, they had several key players missing for the tie and lacked that finishing touch in front of goal.Budleigh Salterton Res 2Elmore Town 1D&E Senior OneBUDLEIGH made it 19 games unbeaten in the league with this workmanlike win over Elmore.New signing Peter Grover made an impressive debut and opened the scoring after 35 minutes with a fine run and shot.Dave Evans had two good chances to extend the lead, as did Simon Rose. But Elmore's keeper saved well.After the restart Budleigh had a scrappy spell for quarter of an hour before Rose made the game safe with his 17th of the season.At the back Pallett, Bradshaw and Owen had solid games but it was Grover who picked up Man of the Match.This win means Budleigh require four points from four games to win the division. If Newtown drop a point this Saturday, one win will do.Budleigh host East Budleigh (3pm) this Saturday.East Budleigh Res 6,Newton St Cyres 2D&E Inter ThreeFive minutes into the second half Budleigh trailed 2-1, but deservedly produced a storming finish to this fixture.The visitors had one first half opportunity and took a surprise 10th minute lead, but Budleigh were generally in the ascendency and went close through Jamie Drummond and Kevin Hawthorne.In the 35th minute excellent approach play between Lukasz Rodak and Steve Wright led to Adam Jones having his effort well saved by the Newton keeper.Two minutes into the second half Budleigh got their reward when Drummond rose to head Budleigh level from an Andy Case centre.Three minutes later a penalty allowed the visitors to regain the lead, despite keeper James Bradbury making a fine attempt to save the kick.On the hour mark a Case corner found its way to Matt Jones at the far post and he volleyed it back into the roof of the net.Budleigh now had the confidence to take the game by the scruff of the neck and the tirless running of Rodak rewarded him with his first and Budleigh's third.Goal number four was also slammed home by Rodak after Case and Wright set him up.Ten minutes from time Steve Davey drove in Budleigh's fifth before Steve Jones completed the rout, robbing the Newton keeper before sliding the ball into an empty net.In a fine all round team display 16-year-old Zack Pearce started his first game and produced a competent display.Budleigh will look for more of the same when they entertain Follygate on Saturday.Broadclyst 3,East Budleigh 2D&E Senior OneEast Budleigh were unfortunate not to claim a share of the spoils from their visit to Broadclyst.The home side had the better of the first half and took a 2-0 lead.In the second half it was a different Budleigh that took to the field. Lee Irvine replaced the injured Darren Stubbings and made an impressive impact.Luke Kelsall was credited with Budleigh's first, bundling the ball into the net. The equaliser was credited as an own goal.A mix-up in the Budleigh rearguard alllowed the home side to regain the lead.Budleigh threw everything at the home side in the closing stages. Irvine, Kelsall and Dave Cockayne were within a whisker of that elusive goal.Kelsall was the pick for Budleigh, whilst Martin Williams, Phil Page, Cockayne and Irvine all did well.Exmouth Town 1,Ottery St Mary 1 Peninsular League Town were keen to rejoin the race for second place in the division having had their last three league games postponed. Town manager Richard Pears was able to choose from a full-strength squad whilst his opposite number, Pete Begam, had a number of key men unavailable. Town quickly set about penning Ottery into their own half. Despite having a good level of possession, they created little in the way of chances.Town lacked the balance that has served them well this season with Kerry Butler a perphiperal figure on the right. They laboured to get decent ball to their strikers. As the half wore on Ottery started to gain more possession but the half was marred when Town midfielder Tom Lowe suffered a double leg fracture.The only goal of the first half was a penalty scored by Ottery. The second half was an even game with Town again threatening only in patches.Finally Town made their possession count when Butler equalised after a good move down the left flank. Two more chances were wasted before Pears drove a thunderbolt against the Ottery bar.Town's next game is away at Okehampton on Saturday. The next home match is against Budleigh Salterton on Wednesday, April 16 (7.30pm).l Table-topping Budleigh Salterton won 3-2 against Okehampton Argyle.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal