Exmouth Community College tennis team into national finals
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth Community College’s boys’ tennis team made it through to the national finals for year 7 and 8 in Bolton in December, after beating Bournemouth Collegiate on a tiebreak shootout then thrashing Millfield Prep School in the Regional Finals, writes Kirsty Robinson.
The girls’ team also did well; they were beaten in the semi-finals by the top seeds but went on to take third place after beating Cheltenham Ladies’ School.
The boys’ team consisted of Benjamin Johnson, who is currently ranked seventh in the country for 14U, Chris Denton, Lucas Urquiza, and Alfie Woodger, who are all ranked in the top 30 in the South West for 14U.
The boys’ team had a tight first match against Bournemouth Collegiate with Lucas and Alfie winning their singles and doubles matches to bring the tie level.
Lucas and Ben then played in a tense match tiebreak shoot-out winning 10-7 to claim the match.
You may also want to watch:
They followed up this close win by thrashing Millfield 6-0. Ben and Chris both beat their singles opponents 6-1, while Alfie won 6-2. Lucas won his rubber 6-0, which was also the result in both the doubles matches.
The girls’ team consisted of Jessica Johnson, ranked third in the South West, who only joined the school in September but played as team number one, Darcie Morton, Maddie Schuchter, Kirsty Robinson, and Malena Kathi. Johana Kathi was also part of the team but was unfortunately forced to pull out due to injury.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 3 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 6 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 7 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 8 Exeter City Community Trust stepping up again
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Budleigh Freemasons support the visually impaired
The girls played the top seeds (Talbot Heath) first, and they battled hard against much higher ranked players. Maddie won her rubber but Talbot Heath were too strong overall. The girls then went on to win the third/fourth play-off match 5-1, with all the girls winning their singles matches, and Jessica Johnson and Darcie Morton winning their doubles.
The tournament started back in April and the ECC boys’ team reached the Regional Final without dropping a rubber; the girls’ team were dominant in their qualifying matches.
The players put in hours of training a week to achieve these results, before, during and after school at the LED tennis centre, and this couldn’t be done without the brilliant coaching team for the ECC and East Devon Tennis Academies. Thanks to the ECC teachers for their support at the tournaments.