Exmouth 2nds run in nine tries in emphatic win over Devonport Services
- Credit: Archant
Exmouth 2nd XV were emphatic 61-21 winners when they took on Devonport Services in a Devon Merit Table Division One fixture.
In what had been expected to be a thrilling encounter, the two teams did not disappoint a large crowd!
The early exchanges saw both sides testing out the other’s defensive qualities, but from the 15th minute the score board began to tick over.
Indeed, at one stage of the contest the Cockles’ lead was only one of five points at 19-14. However, when needed, the Cockles were able to find a new gear and they ended as comfortable winners.
They scored nine tries with Sam Fulthorpe scoring three of them, Tom Steer bagged a brace, and there were also tries from Harvey Ridgeway, Nick Headley, Nick Watt and Joel Ranft. There were also eight conversions with the kicking duties shared by Tom Steer and Rich Cadywould, who added to the final score. In what was certainly a competitive fixture, the win sees the young Cockles tighten their grip at the top of the table.
You may also want to watch:
There are, of course, still some tough games to come, but the balance and pace from the backs was too much for Devonport to handle.
What’s more, the Exmouth forward pack was solid and efficient, building the platform to launch attacking phases.
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 3 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 4 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 5 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 6 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 7 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 8 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
Next up is an away game at Cullompton.