Exe win well at Clifton thanks to Whitworth’s late goal
- Credit: Archant
Exe claimed the Premier One points on their visit to Clifton II courtesy of a 2-1 success, writes Fiona Moran.
Exe started the stronger of the two teams, putting pressure on the opposition and creating many chances, before Kat Harris converted a penalty corner, firing straight into the goal.
Exe continue to create chances, but missed a penalty stroke midway through the first half. Goalkeeper Suzy Eagles made a smart save just before half-time to ensure Exe went in at the interval with the advantage.
Clifton came out strongly in the second half putting Exe under pressure and levelled from a penalty corner.
This spurred on Exe who moved up a gear and began to create chances and the winning goal duly arrived when Clare Whitworth applied a clinical finish during a goalmouth scramble with five minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Thereafter Exe closed the game out well to deservedly bank the points.
- 1 Double celebration as iconic pub reopens with new look
- 2 Inquest into death of Exmouth teenager found at Orcombe Point
- 3 Steve hopes community will help lifesaving research at awareness event
- 4 Exmouth woman denies murdering her partner Nigel Johnston
- 5 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 6 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 7 Exmouth man sent to Broadmoor for B&B sex attack
- 8 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 9 Landing great fish from boats across the region
- 10 Major improvement works ongoing at Exmouth Cricket Club