East Devon Tennis Academy enjoys lots of half-term success
- Credit: Archant
Half-term was a busy period for East Devon Tennis Academy players with players attending tournaments all over the country, writes Jayne Robinson.
The week began with Connor McCann winning a County Level 12U boys’ tournament in Barnstaple with Samuel Sidgwick making the semi-finals.
Jessica Johnson competed in her first national level tournament in Nottingham and had the chance to warm up with world number 513 player Freya Christie, great experience for Jess.
There was then a regional level tournament in Ivybridge, which brought some great results for Exmouth players.
There were tournament wins for Benjamin Johnson in the 16U with teammates Lucas Urquiza coming third and Zac Brown fourth. Zac then went on to win the boys’ doubles, beating Ben Johnson and Lucas Urquiza in the final. Jessica Johnson won the girls’ 14U doubles.
You may also want to watch:
Exmouth players were runners-up in multiple age groups; Harry Rintoul in the 8U, Ryan McCann in 10U boys, Maya Ichim in the 12U girls and Alfie Woodger in the 14U boys. Alfie also made the semi-finals of the 14U boys’ doubles.
Alex Roper also made the semi-finals in a strong 9U boys’ event. Meanwhile, Chris Denton was up in Cheshire and came runner-up in a regional 14U boys’ tournament.
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 3 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 4 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 5 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 6 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 7 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 8 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
During the week, four Exmouth players played for Devon in the ‘Dorset pumpkin’ team event. Ryan McCann, Evie Fitzhenry and Isabelle Marks made up half of the 10U team who came second against strong opposition from Dorset and Hampshire. Isabelle then joined the Devon 9U team along with Alex Roper to win their event.
To finish off the week, Ben Johnson was up in Sunderland at a national level event and came runner-up in the consolation event in a close fought final.
Several players also attended a county level tournament in Sherborne; Sam Sidgwick and Ollie Roper were runners-up in the boys’ 12U doubles with Sam also coming runner-up in the singles consolation event.
Well done, to all the East Devon Tennis Academy and Exmouth Community College Academy players who played in tournaments during the week; there were good performances and results all round.