East Devon Palmer Cup success for Brenda Somerfield
- Credit: Archant
Brenda Somerfield claimed victory in the June medal competition at East Devon Golf Club last week and with it took home the Palmer Cup for 2018, writes Helen Chivers.
The Palmer Cup is played for annually by the Bronze handicap players and Somerfield won it in fine style with a six under par round of nett 68.
Birdies on the ninth and 10th holes helped take Brenda three shots clear at the top of Bronze division, ahead of second placed Kassy Gillioz-Taylor who scored a three under par nett 71.
Judy Robinson was also under par taking third place with a nett 73 while countback was needed to decide fourth spot, with Elaine Curel just beating Barbara Middleditch as they both returned one over par rounds of nett 75.
Sue Harrison continued her good run of form to take first place in Silver Division.
You may also want to watch:
She was four under par on nett 70, two shots clear of second placed Lea Finding on nett 72.
Marilyn Gerrard took third place on countback, ahead of the in-form Leslie Dawson, who birdied the par five sixth and 14th holes on the way to her one under par round nett 73.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 4 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
- 7 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 10 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
Nina Hawkins was fourth on countback from Jill Miller.
Both finished with scores of one over par on nett 75.