East Devon Ladies are Still Cup Champions
- Credit: Barbara Mellor
East Devon Ladies are the Devon Still Cup Champions for the first time in 28 years.
The win came as the team defeated the ladies of Stover Golf Club in the final of Devon’s inter-club Still Cup competition, in a match which swung back and forth between the teams.
The team of Emily Morey, Claire Dowling, Helen Chivers, Sarah Owen-Pawson and Sally Underwood, together with their caddies and supporters, headed across the county to England’s oldest links golf course, Royal North Devon, on a wet and windswept Friday morning (1st October).
Thankfully, the rain cleared in time for tee off, but the wind challenged the players throughout the afternoon. It was a very close fought battle and nailbiting to the last putt.
Emily got the team off to a flying start with a tremendous 8&6 win in the first game, recording four birdies and an eagle in her first 9 holes. Stover then won the next two games, with Claire losing on the last putt on the 18th hole and Helen losing 2&1 on the 17th hole.
You may also want to watch:
All eyes turned to the final two games, which were finely balanced going down the last two holes.
Sarah headed down the 18th hole tied and secured a vital point by winning with par to level the match score at 2-2. Meanwhile, in the final game Sally was one up playing the 17th and sunk her putt to win the hole and her game 2&1, securing a 3-2 win for the East Devon team.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 6 John and Grace run for the heart
- 7 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 8 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
Reflecting on the win, Ladies Captain Carole Brailey said: “This win has been a long time coming and I am so proud of all 10 players in the squad for playing their part on our journey to victory.
“On the day, the team held their nerve on a notoriously challenging course, and I’m delighted that after a long 28-year wait, the Still Cup has come home to East Devon.
“Huge thanks to DevonGolf for overcoming so many challenges to stage the ladies inter-club competitions this year. We look forward to defending the title in 2022!”