East Devon ladies sparkle across the board
Lorna Sealy Nichols
- Credit: Submitted
East Devon Bowls Club ladies have continued to achieve exciting results across a number of competitions.
Gudrun Nolan, who became our Ladies Club Champion on June 29, has won the Devon Girls Championship, played at Exeter Golf & Country Club in a close finish. Gudrun came in with a gross score of 70 with Lauren McGinnis of Churston finishing on 71.
The various inter-club team events have continued with some sparkling results.
The Annodata team, represented by Sally Underwood, Sue Harrison, Nina Hawkins, Sue Loynes and Helen Chivers, played a home game against the China Fleet team and achieved a resounding 4 ½ to ½ win. This takes the team down to the last 32 clubs in the country out of around 400 entries nationally.. We won’t know who the opposition will be until next week …
Our Still Cup team, Presidents 1, Presidents 2 and Sheelah Creasy teams have all made it through their first groupings and will be playing their quarter finals early in September.
Sue Harrison and Jane Atkin, playing in the DCVLGA Inter-Club knockout have now reached the final.
Sandra Morton and Mary Knight who won the Australia Spoons regional final at Yeovil went on to play at Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire, home of England Golf, and came a very creditable sixth place.
- 1 Health chief calls for review of 'confusing' schools covid policy
- 2 Mayor tells of pride at kindness shown to Afghan refugees
- 3 Community responds brilliantly to Afghan refugee crisis
- 4 East Devon reports rise in Covid cases
- 5 Headteacher joins calls for improved school funding
- 6 Nightingale hospital in running for top industry award
- 7 East Devon elects new councillor in the Exe Valley
- 8 Students leave phones at home for day to help cancer charity
- 9 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 10 Outpouring of support for Afghan refugees arriving in Exmouth
In recent DCVLGA championships held at Honiton, Barbara Mellor won the VVV Cup, Sandra Sydenham won the VV runner up Cup, Ali Miller won the Silver Division and Nina Cartwright won the Bronze 2 Division.
Jane Atkin has also won the East Devon Ladies Vets Championship Trophy for the second year running with a gross score of 87 with Sue Harrison on 90 gross while Annie Dent wins the nett cup returning 70 nett and Jean Quinn a very close second on 71.
Running alongside all these events are our usual Tuesday Ladies medal and county stableford games. Worth a mention is our Lady Captain’s Day held on August 3. There was more than a full house with over 100 ladies playing. (Players were asked to make a special effort with colourful appearance.)
The winning team was made up of Jenny Stogden, Helen Chivers and Rosemary Pratt with Joy Wisdom, Ali Miller and Linda Knapton in second place, followed by a Clubhouse presentation afterwards to award the prizes.