Doble brothers make huge impact in Budleigh win over Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Budleigh Salterton are moving up the A Division table after an 85-run win over visiting Bideford hoisted them two places and 18 points clear of the drop spots, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
Skipper Trevor Anning, the former Devon and Minor Counties XI all-rounder, top scored for Budleigh with 60 in their 50-over total of 179 for six.
Anning got Budleigh to 90 for two with help from Marc Troman (16) and Ed Doble (27). Lloyd Murrin (28) and James Leat kicked on after Budleigh slowed to 117 for five.
Bideford skipper Paul Heard used eight bowlers, none more successful than Jack Ford (4-22 off 10).
Bideford seemed in a good place at 71 for two with James Heard (34) still there.
You may also want to watch:
Skipper Heard’s dismissal to the combination of bowler Ed Doble and brother James behind the stumps, started a collapse Bideford couldn’t arrest
From 86 for four when Ford was caught behind, Bideford lost seven wickets for nine runs.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 4 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Look to the future to find the key to motivation
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
Doble the 18-year-old off-spinner had remarkable figures of eight overs, four maidens, five wickets taken for six runs scored.
Doble the 17-year-old keeper took five catches – howzat for cricketing symmetry?